• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root/Unroot for Mac?

brlebu

Jun 7, 2010
I apologize if this has been posted before. I'm new to the whole smartphone thing, and I can't seem to find this information...

Is there a "one-click" root/unroot method available for Mac users? I've come across a couple of website that mention Mac options for rooting, but none of them seem to have an option for unrooting. And since I'm new to this, I want to have an option available if I screw up rooting somehow.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

I actually found that a few minutes after I posted this topic and tried it out. But no luck. I got this error:

! Error
!
! You must extract the entire contents of the zip file and then run this script
! from the directory where the zip was extracted.

I followed a link from Pete's site to RootzWiki and read a few dozen pages of the thread there, but couldn't figure anything out.

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on my Mac and I've got system version 5.6.890 on my Droid 3.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you need to unzip and extract the file to a folder using a zip file extractor for Mac. Then run it from that folder.

Figured it out last night. I was dragging and dropping the .sh file from the unzipped folder to Terminal. Turns out I needed to point Terminal to that folder (cd [folder directory]) before it would work.

Now I'm rooted and I've frozen all bloatware with Titanium Backup!

Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
Has anyone been able to unroot their Droid 3 using a Mac? I was a little overanxious to root my phone, and haven't been successful in figuring out how to unroot.

All I've done is freeze apps with Titanium Backup, but I'm having some weird issues that aren't solved by unfreezing everything: Phone randomly stops charging when plugged in to a wall outlet... Touchscreen loses sensitivity when plugged into the charger... Regardless of my settings, I can't get the phone to vibrate for notifications... A few other random things...

So I'd like to unroot/reroot and see if that fixes these issues, and if it doesn't, I'd like to be able to unroot so I can take the phone into the Verizon store.

A little help? Anyone have experience unrooting on a Mac? Or should I just find a friend with a PC and unroot that way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones