• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root: using ALL available internal storage

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
i know it is possible, i have also eliminated the Low Space notification so i do know you can set the threshold that installs are blocked at as well, but i do not know where to look in SqLite to edit or what value to add, as there is nothing about this in a Google search as of yet. my phone has 15MB free. but i try installing an APK that only takes up 600KB, which is a lot less than 15MB. but every installer tells me i am 'out of space'. this is not true. i have 15MB left. i want to use ALL of it no matter the risks. i can't even install Link2SD and i am not going to delete apps to treat the symptom of the problem. i am not going to have any OS tell me what i can and cannot do with a device i own. that's Windows and Apple territory. is there any way that you know of to disable the install block? or at least change its threshold?

I may be totally whacked out here, but it's just a thought....when some apps download, some info gets stored on the /cache partition and that may be what is full or low on space.
Can you move the dalvik cache to the sd card?
I say this because I remember one member who had an Evo4G, and was running a certain rom, and that rom put the dalvik cache on the cache partition or something like that, so that when they tried to download an app, the device said "low memory" because the cache was low.
I would link that post, but I cannot find it:(

Upvote 0
i have tried almost everything possible. clearing caches, uninstalling updates, heck i did disable the low disk space alert that killed sync long ago via SQLite editor. but that does not stop the package installer from blocking installs when the internal memory is at or below 15MB remaining. it does not matter if the app i'm trying to install is 1MB or 1KB. there is a threshold somewhere on this phone (runs Gingerbread 2.3.5 if that helps) that limits installs to that threshold of 15MB. if the memory is at or below it, it always blocks installs saying 'insufficient storage available' whether i'm using Play or another alternative market. the only workaround i know of is using 1MobileMarket and having it force-install (it has its own installer that bypasses the system package installer but it requires deleting Play store to work, which will kill certain purchased apps for some reason, one will tell me there is a licensing problem for example) but i know of no other third party tools that bypass the default package installer other than that. i would rather know if there is a similar method using SQLite Editor to change the install threshold. i have CWM and i do back things up, so i'm willing to take risks. i read that Android is not meant to allow any user to install apps below 15MB left, but being the kind of person who prefers to use ALL available space no matter what, i don't agree with that design.

i prefer to have control over what my device does, how much space it uses, what apps to have running in the background, it's just my own personal preference.

Perhaps i should have been more specific. this is NOT the 'Phone storage space is getting low' notification, i disabled that via SQLite. this is the installer saying that there is insufficient storage when trying to install an APK when the space is at or below 15MB remaining. it basically causes the install attempt to exit. i cannot find any solution to disable the install issue on a search so i hoped some devs or root experts would know of a method to force the apps to install regardless of available space

EDIT: now that i think of it, i do believe ES File Explorer has its own installer, i do remember clicking an APK and then getting an 'install successful' alert once..i'll see if that works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones