• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root vs android market

hoodtrix

Mar 7, 2010
quick question, Im gunna get the moment but i want google maps-with turn by turn directions, that is only for 1.6 or higher and stock moment is 1.5 so if i root the phone with joeys 1.9 will i be able to go to AM and download the GM/turn by turn or will it still think im 1.5

quick question, Im gunna get the moment but i want google maps-with turn by turn directions, that is only for 1.6 or higher and stock moment is 1.5 so if i root the phone with joeys 1.9 will i be able to go to AM and download the GM/turn by turn or will it still think im 1.5
WTF?!? You have 1.5 ... 1.6 is a different OS (different files, different framework, different coding)...

You want google maps with turn by turn.. go buy a droid or nexus until 2.1 is released for the moment or we finally figure out the rild and kernel problems

Upvote 0
that was really uncalled for... the guy was asking a simple question if he changed to custom rooms would he be able to get stuff from the market that 1.6 get at 1.5 dont all you had to say was "no.. cause we havent been able to make 1.6 roms" "all are roms are still based for 1.5"...and not a throw a fit and get all crazy. oh and also he doesnt have to go buy any of the new phones to get turned by turn.. i come from xda and the g1 and they had turn by turn even before the moment came out. and were able to get higher custom roms on the g1 so i am guessing his question was if the joeys rom a 1.6 rom.

Upvote 0
right now all the kernels are based off of 1.5, so unfortunately, root won't get you any closer to running the turn by turn from google maps. good news is that 2.1 is supposed to come sooner or later... :)

Looks like sooner!

• Let your customers know we are actively working on having the Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming weeks.
  • Look for more information coming in April about Android 2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.
It was originally posted in the Sprint HTC Hero thread for the update as an internal Sprint notice.

http://androidforums.com/450009-post119.html

Upvote 0
that was really uncalled for... the guy was asking a simple question if he changed to custom rooms would he be able to get stuff from the market that 1.6 get at 1.5 dont all you had to say was "no.. cause we havent been able to make 1.6 roms" "all are roms are still based for 1.5"...and not a throw a fit and get all crazy. oh and also he doesnt have to go buy any of the new phones to get turned by turn.. i come from xda and the g1 and they had turn by turn even before the moment came out. and were able to get higher custom roms on the g1 so i am guessing his question was if the joeys rom a 1.6 rom.
Well considering they are KERNELS ONLY and it is vastly described in this entire forum and others... i think it was spot on.. btw.. it is based off of 2.6.27... if you read these forums you will know there are LINUX KERNELS, and there is ANDROID OS...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones