• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root VS. Leaked OTA VS. Both VS. Waiting

What do you recommend doing at this point

• Total voters
answerman - That is great to hear that undervolted has helped your battery so much. Do you notice it slowing things down much? I am looking forward to my battery lasting all day, not to mention, two days!
I have noticed absolutely zero difference performancewise. It wasn't a huge difference in my battery since I was getting about a day and a half out of it before the kernel, but a difference nevertheless.

Upvote 0
I am rooted but my question is, 2.2 will have wireless tether, but will it be free wireless tether or will it be a pay feature for the $20.00 extra a month? I would believe it would have to be. The tether is the only feature that makes me root. Love it. Makes me want to stay with root and just wait for the Guru's to roll out the ROM.

For those concerned about rolling back though, it is real easy. I am a total bonehead at this stuff and I have rooted and rolled mine back twice with the hype to wait for the official OTA but said hell with it, I miss the wireless tether too much. I had my phone back to what I expected in like 20 minutes if that after I un-rooted. I use app brain for apps. It was painless.

Upvote 0
ROOT IT .... at least get that part out of the way.... IF YOU WAIT, the new update may patch your ability to ROOT!!! once froyo,or whatever update officially drops, Devs will have it out to the public "root safe" in no time... so really why wait? eventually you'll get everything anyways!!! AND STILL HAVE ROOT !

Upvote 0
The leaked OTA sux. I went back to stock. It was full of bugs that I no longer feel like listing. If all you do with your phone is look at the pretty weather animation when you unlock it, then by all means, go all in...

I actually use my phone for real work and entertainment... The leak is a time sink. By the time you patch all the bugs and figure out work-arounds, we will have a rock-solid OTA from VZW... I am just sad I popped the cherry on my phone for this crap..

Yes, I am bitter at the jerk-offs that claimed that thing to be "all working TESTED"... I expect better from XDA..

Upvote 0
I'm guessin a 99.9999% chance that the wireless tether will be a paid service if they haven't already announced it.

1st post :) Getting Droid (Inc or 2) this wk.

Can I take this to mean that a rooted Dinc will tether for free! For those who's tethering, how fast is this service, comparable to DSL? It it's free and speed is decent/reliable, this would save the $30 Comcast Inet I'm paying now and sway me toward Dinc.

Thx.

Upvote 0
1st post :) Getting Droid (Inc or 2) this wk.

Can I take this to mean that a rooted Dinc will tether for free! For those who's tethering, how fast is this service, comparable to DSL? It it's free and speed is decent/reliable, this would save the $30 Comcast Inet I'm paying now and sway me toward Dinc.

Thx.

i use wireless tether on my rooted 2.2 dinc daily. on speed test in a rural 3g area, i consistently get 1.5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. its good enough, and its FREE.

Upvote 0
I don't want to sound demanding but a lot of people have voted and it has actually confused me even more.

I would love it if you could explain your vote. Why should I root or wait. I have been planning on rooting for two weeks now but so many people have suggested waiting.

I hope this helps......I by no means am that computer literate and have a hard time understanding the lingo sometimes, but I went ahead and rooted the phone strictly for the wireless tethering and 720p video and mess around with some of the apps that are available to rooted phones such as the led flashlight and such.....

With Froyo around the corner and seeing that any of the ROM's out there aren't exactly perfect and relatively confusing to install with updating your radio, wiping the system, etc.....I just rather not mess with any of that, be rooted, happy and wait for the official Froyo update to roll out from Verizon.

Now.......Unrevoked just released the Forever version of root which will keep you rooted even after you install the official Froyo from Verizon (I will lose root if I install the update btw) so that is tempting, but still fairly new. I would suggest you hold off on that and wait to see people's reactions from it

I too was on the fence about rooting, but love that I did. Basically, you get to play with it a bit more while still being safe. You will still receive and be able to install the OTA update from Verizon, so the question should really be, why aren't you rooted yet?!?!...i'm going to post the youtube tutorial that I used to not only root, but install the wireless tethering as well, it is soo easy. It is a step by step process on what to do and once you've reviewed the vid a couple of times and go for it, you'll find that it was worth it and soo easy. Enough of me talking, hope I helped and here's the video. Enjoy root!

YouTube - Droid Incredible - One Click Root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones