• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root vs wait for Froyo

Hey all,

I'm curious, is Froyo 2.2 supposed to have the lag and GPS fix in it? My wife got her Vibrant 4 days ago and I get mine on Tuesday, so before I go rooting both of them to apply the fixes, I'd like to know if I waited up to a month if it would be fixed anyway in the next update. There's really not much of anything else (right now at least) that I would do with rooting, which is why I ask.

I had [as I'm sure all of us] a cell phone before I got the vibrant and magically it worked just fine for 4 years without any updates.

I understand that android is evolving and a certain amount of updates "might" be coming, but I really think some people put a little too much effort out there complaining about the different versions.

Yes I waited for the vibrant because it is a smarter phone and has a lot of up to the minute features that other phones don't have and yes I also expect to receive a certain amount of updates just based on the hardware features still being a vital component of the new builds.

But at some point down the road, there will be no more updates, and probably around that time I will just buy the latest eyeball head up display phone behind the ear static electricity powered phone!

just my 2 cents on it :)

Upvote 0
I had [as I'm sure all of us] a cell phone before I got the vibrant and magically it worked just fine for 4 years without any updates.

I understand that android is evolving and a certain amount of updates "might" be coming, but I really think some people put a little too much effort out there complaining about the different versions.

Yes I waited for the vibrant because it is a smarter phone and has a lot of up to the minute features that other phones don't have and yes I also expect to receive a certain amount of updates just based on the hardware features still being a vital component of the new builds.

But at some point down the road, there will be no more updates, and probably around that time I will just buy the latest eyeball head up display phone behind the ear static electricity powered phone!

just my 2 cents on it :)

Well this one is going to get 2.2 in a couple or few weeks and then 3.0 Gingerbread so things are looking up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones