1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root with z4root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaTexter, Dec 19, 2010.

1. DaTexter

DaTexter Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    California
    I want to root my Ascend by using Z4root so i can get wireless tether however i don't want to mess anything up seeing as this is my first time rooting. So my Question is what should i do before rooting? I've been looking around threads like crazy and I've read about backing up a Recovery Image and using Titanium Backup to back up the stock applications but I haven't actually done anything because I don't know how to do it. Can someone lend me a hand?

Advertisement

2. rp1030

rp1030 Newbie
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Z4 root should be risk free, I did mine with no worries.
    just make sure you have a good amount of battery left, or do it on a charger.

That's just what I think though, others may have different opinions or recommendations.

3. DaTexter

DaTexter Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    California
    Well it worked like a charm, however i did have a complication. after Z4root rooted mu phone i attempted to connect to my wifi router and i got nothing. I couldn't turn on the wifi option on the phone at all once i push the button the letters grey out and i can't do nothing. what should i do? reroot? or unroot and then root again?

4. Ascendedx

Ascendedx Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Android Enthusiast
    Android Land
    DaTexter, I've actually had somewhat of the same experience, except i was toying around with barnacle and somehow or another when i went to enable wifi, I got the same thing. I simply flashed the recovery rom for the ascend and everything was fine, once again. You can find the recovery rom here:

Custom and Recovery ROM’s | Android News and Updates, Android Guides, and More!

But use only if you have the cricket version of the ascend, im currently seeking the metroPCS version.

Hope this helps,

CheerZ!

dennyps likes this.
  5. DaTexter

DaTexter Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    California
    Thanks Ascendedx But I Have a couple questions, will flashing the recovery rom delete everything off of my phone?? Will I have to activate it again?? How do I activate the phone again without losing my number?

6. Ascendedx

Ascendedx Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Android Enthusiast
    Android Land
    Yes, flashing the recovery rom will delete whatever is stored -ON- your phone, it will not remove anything stored on your SDCard. You won't have to activate your phone again.

7. _atlien_

_atlien_ Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Are these Ascend rooting experiences with Cricket or with Metro? I think we should specify in case there is a difference. I have Metro PCS and I tried permanent root 5 times with no success. Plenty of battery. It just went on and on and on. Then once it rebooted but still no root. Next I tried temporary boot. That worked. Thus far that is all I've been able to accomplish with z4root on a Metro PCS Ascend.

8. dodukes

dodukes Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    I have the metropcs version of the ascend and i was able to root it with no problems last night. I did the permanent root option and then installed titanium pro from the marketplace and froze most of the stock apps (bloatware) that came with the phone. Everything so far seems to be working. The only thing im concerend about is that i uninstalled the UNO and Free Games link and then of course read online that you will need all this stuff to do a OTA update but when I went back to titanium and restored those two things, they are not coming up in the app drawer even after rebooting phone however, they do now show up in the settings->manage applications, they didtn show up there before which is why I had to root the phone.

9. _atlien_

_atlien_ Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Attempted the z4root permanent root yet again and this time it worked (go figure). I used Barnacle to test root installation/use and it was fine. Though MetroPCS is too slow in Atlanta for Barnacle to be practical.

Titanium works and I uninstalled bloatware. Now waiting for tasty ROMS to be cooked up. :D Thanks to all who helped me.