• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root without computer

smassie

Lurker
Mar 20, 2012
Greetings forum. I've been reading and searching but cannot find a definite answer to this question.

Is there a method of rooting this phone without a computer? I have no charge port in my phone. It wasn't working so when I opened the case to solder wires for the touchstone mod, the port itself fell out. So, no port, no connection to a computer.

I saw a youtube video doing this but I'm not sure if it will work for my phone. I am running stock 2.3.3 with hboot 2.16, am I out of luck? I'm hoping that if it was possible when that video was made, it still is.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give!

Exactly. I have 6 pc's in the house just no port on my phone to connect them to. Would a connection like vnc make it possible with the right code? I'm surprised because the charging port issue is quite frequent with this phone that there isnt a wireless option. Oh well, at least the phone is a ton better than my previous one.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that an ambitious dev takes up the challenge for those of us without the required ports for today's methods.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I have a somewhat similar situation. I have this evo 4g with the latest radio, hboot, and ota update, but for soemreason it won't connect to a pc via USB while booted into the OS. I can boot into hboot and the pc will recognize it, turn on fastboot and the pc recognizes it, but in the android OS I get nothing but charging. I've got a second evo 4g from my sister with an older system on it that works fine, but just this one doesn't connect.

Upvote 0
I have a somewhat similar situation. I have this evo 4g with the latest radio, hboot, and ota update, but for soemreason it won't connect to a pc via USB while booted into the OS. I can boot into hboot and the pc will recognize it, turn on fastboot and the pc recognizes it, but in the android OS I get nothing but charging. I've got a second evo 4g from my sister with an older system on it that works fine, but just this one doesn't connect.
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
try switching the sd cards as for some this has been the culprit.

Upvote 0

Did u check to see if you have adb enabled in settings/applications/developement.

Also,make sure your charger plug is in all the way. Try moving the wire around also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones