1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root without wipe

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MacLaddy, Sep 27, 2014.

1. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

As in the title, is there a way to root this phone without subsequently wiping it? I'm really only looking to use the wifi-router option, I don't need many more bells or whistles.
    I read through quite a bit of the different root methods, but I couldn't tell for sure if wiping was an option or not. I rooted my original EVO, but it seems this is a whole different ballgame.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mac

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Well it depends on your H boot and software version. I just used rumrunner with no wipe and all went well. Unfortunately most have left this phone and moved on. I think there is more action still on the old evo 4g.

MacLaddy and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i think both rumrunner and moonshine does not wipe.

and all of the methods in the og evo days will wipe data, so there is a plus with using either methods for the lte evo.

if anything you can use My Backup Pro to back your phone up.

and i agree with this phone, the root methods are getting more complicated......but i think that is a good thing to some degree. it just means that is is harder for others to hack your phone. it would be nice if everything was like the nexus phones, where google allows it to be rootable fairly easily.

MacLaddy likes this.
  4. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Thanks mikem0269, and ocnbrze. That's good news. I will give rumrunner a try since you both seem to agree on that one. I also have the OG EVO, and that was quite a process to root, so I'll have to see how this one stacks up.

Much appreciated. Thanks again.
    Mac

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. ocnbrze

MacLaddy likes this.
  6. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Thanks again, ocnbrze. That dummies guide is good information.

I am a little lost on one item, however. The guides for the two methods discussed, rumrunner and moonshine, mention that they are for H-Boot versions 3.14. (or something near that number) My H-Boot version is the older one at 2.09.

Do you happen to know if these will still work for this version, or do I need to upgrade to root? Or perhaps dig through the archives for an older method?

Thanks again,
    Mac

7. ocnbrze

read the updates.....2.09 will need dirty racun. if you want to use rumrunner or moonshine then you will need to upgrade your phone to 3.14.....whether you should or not is up to you.

8. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Android Expert

As far as I know, you actually can't root this device without wiping it. In order to root, you need to first unlock the device with HTCDev, which will wipe the data from the phone.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews