• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root your updated LG Marquee phone step by step.

Jaybps3

May 17, 2012
I came to this forum recently after purchasing a boost mobile lg marquee, I had already installed the ZV4 update and couldn't get the standard root method to work. I had to go through the whole process installing the kdz update with the LG855ZV9 and then rooting my phone, after rooting I installed the CWM manager and was able to install the stock LG855ZV4 rooted.

I found all the information needed here in this forum however it was from multiple threads and it can get a little confusing trying to follow the process when you have to use multiple sources to get it done. Now that I have my phone finished, I figure the least I can do is contribute back to this forum.

So here I am posting this step by step guide with detailed instructions for rooting your updated lg marquee. I am gonna go over both the boost and sprint marquees.

I would like to acknowledge and thank all the members & contributors who made all of this possible. I am simply putting the whole process into a single thread, hoping to make it easier for newbs like myself to find the information needed to root an updated lg marquee. I would name names but there was quite a few threads used and more then one member who contributed to helping me. So thanks to all you guys.

Some of you guys may need to prepare your computer before attempting to flash it. Before you do flash try this first.

Things to know
----
* Do not boot in Safe Mode, that will not work.
* If you have anti-virus or firewall disable them or remove them.
* If you have a virus on your computer thats causing issues remove them or go on another computer.
* This has not been tested on Linux or Mac
* Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are known to work. If you are using a Windows 98 or Windows ME might as well throw it out because they will not work.
* When you plug your phone in you will see in your device manager the LG modem. That will interfere with flashing so disable it.

Things that will help you prepare your computer
----
File 1:
Install the latest JDK version from this website. Which is the JDK 7u4 at current time as of 1:24 AM Central Time on 5/13/2012. Java SE Downloads

File 2:
For those of you using windows vista or 7 you may need to update the fix for the USB Drivers which is located here. 6.1.7601 USB Driver Update Fix

File 3:
Use LG Driver Software to download the drivers for the phone. However if you are encountering issues on downloading it through the software (which I recommend because when you download it, it gives an addtional 2 files for USB fixes for the phone) you can always download it off the website on LG itself located here. I've read somewhere if the drivers are already installed the LG Software will not let you get the choice in downloading it again.

Boost Mobile: LG LG855 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Sprint: LG LGLS855 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Try installing these things first and see if they work.

I am running windows 7 pro 64bit. I followed the above guide and installed the latest JDK. I didn't need the usb driver update. I have the boost mobile lg marquee so I downloaded the boost mobile driver using the link in the post quoted above.

Before following this guide I recommend you sync your contacts with your google account so you will be able to easily restore you contacts if needed. Otherwise you may lose all your contacts and have to manually add them. I lost all of my apps and had no way to restore them so I just downloaded them after I got my phone finished.

Step 1
Download and install the latest JDK for your computer. Make sure you get the correct version for your operating system.

JDK Download >>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-1591156.html

Step 2
Download and Install the correct usb driver for your phone.

Boost Mobile >>> LG LG855 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Sprint >>> LG LGLS855 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Step 3
Download the KDZ file >>> LS855ZV9_11.S9_00.P60680.kdz

Step 4
Download the KDZ Updater >>> Android Forums

Step 5
Unzip the LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix. This will create a folder named
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN go ahead and open this folder.

Step 6
Inside the KDZ_FW_UPD_EN folder is a application called windows enabler, right click on this file and choose run as administrator.

Step 7
Inside the KDZ_FW_UPD_EN folder you will see another application called KDZ_FW_UPD right click on it and choose run as administrator. This will launch the KDZ updater. Leave the default settings alone should be set at CDMA- Smart Phone(WM) Phone Mode (DIAG).

Step 8
Load the KDZ file you downloaded previously into the kdz updater, just click on the little folder where it says KDZ file. After this is loaded your ready to prepare your phone for the update.

Step 9
In your phone go to settings browse to connectivity, if you have it checked to ask on plug uncheck that. And make sure the Default connection mode is set to charge only.

Step 10
On your phone go to settings browse to Applications then browse to Developement and check the enable USB debugging mode. Once this is checked you can go ahead and exit out and power your phone off and connect it to your computer using the usb cable.

Step 11
Back at the kdz updater tool click on the launch software update button.

Boost users immediately press the power button on your phone right after you click on the launch software update.

Sprint users count to 12 and then power on your phone.

I had to read the forums to figure out how to get this to work on boost and on sprint and trust me the timing is everything, if your phone boots all the way up you've messed up on the timing otherwise it will boot into the update screen. If you mess up the first time just try it again it only took me 1 try to get the boost to work, and 3 tries to get the sprint to work.

Once the update begins just leave the phone alone until the update completes and the phone reboots.

Boost users you will now see the welcome to now network from sprint on boot. Not to worry though were gonna root the phone and then you can install the rooted LS855ZV4 stock so your phone will be back to normal shortly.

If your phone gets stuck in the continuous boot loop after running the update. Just power off your phone, and hold the volume down + the power on button until your phone boots into the factory recovery manager. You will need to use the volume rocker to scroll up and down and use the menu button on your phone as the enter button. You will want to clear catch and restore phone to factory default. You will see the options in the factory recovery window just browse the clear cache and then to the restore factory default settings and after that click the reboot.

Now your phone should boot up successfully without the continuous boot loop. Now we can go ahead and get the phone rooted!

Step 12
Download the LG Marquee root zip >>> Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

Step 13
With your phone powered on go ahead and make sure your settings are still correct, you need to have it set to charge only, and have usb debugging enabled. Once that is complete plug your phone into the computer using the usb cable this time leave the phone on.

Step 14
Extract the LG Marquee root zip and inside the LG Marquee root folder you will see a batch file named run, go ahead and execute it by double clicking on it. Give it a few minutes and you should see it looking up the phone and copying files over when it's complete it will pop up finished press any key to continue. Go ahead and press a key and this will close it.

Step 15
Your phone should now be rooted go ahead and download root check basic from the play store. Run it and it should verify your root.

Now that your phone is rooted you can install CWM and well the rest is history.

Step 16
Download CWM >>> http://unleashedprepaids.com/media/phones/lg-marquee/LGMarquee_CWM.zip

Extract the LGMarquee CWM, this won't produce a folder just a few files.

Step 17
Make sure your phone is plugged in to the computer, powered on and debugging is still enabled, should be as long as you haven't changed them and been following this guide.

Step 18

Double click on the cwm-install-windows launcher that was extracted in the previous steps this will open the installer, you simply press 1 on the keyboard and then enter on the keyboard and it will install CWM.

Now that your phone is rooted and CWM is installed we can now use CWM to install the stock rooted updated SW versions for our phones. Or you can install ctmod and one of the updated kernels if you choose to. I'm gonna walk you through getting your phone back to stock with the rooted permissions.

Step 19

Download the rooted stock SW for your phone.

Boost users >>>http://www.mediafire.com/?b2lfn0a1qohwjwx

Sprint users >>> http://www.mediafire.com/?c4kb38dd63bm100

Step 20
Now on your phone go to settings and browse to connectivity and then choose default connection mode storage. Plug the phone back into the computer and choose open to view files. Just copy the zip you downloaded in the previous step onto your phone SD card somewhere remember where you put it though. I created a new folder called STOCK and put the zip file in it.

Step 21

Disconnect the phone from the pc and power it off. Hold the volume down + power button until you boot into CWM it takes a little bit so keep them held down until it boots CWM.

Step 22
I would recommend making a backup of your current system using cwm before you install the stock rom so if anything goes wrong.

Using the volume up and down to browse the menu's and navigate CWM, browse to the install zip from sd card select it using the power button, and browse to the zip file you copied over and select it and it will install the rom and reboot to CWM.

Step 23

In CWM clear the catch, and then reboot if your phone gets stuck and won't boot, power it off boot back into CWM and do factory reset. Once your phone boots again you will be finished. Your back to stock with root access and you can install one of the custom kernels and SW or whatever you can with your new root access.

Good lord, I didn't realize there were so many steps to this process. LOL. I'm sure new users coming to the Marquee will find this post helpful. Thanks for taking the time to list them.

It could be a lot slimmer but some people need full on instructions or they get confused and miss something. Maybe I will clean it up and slim it down in the future. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm not a forum participant typically so please excuse any etiquette breaches in posting a note.

Just a thank you for taking the time to post the many steps and links necessary to accomplish what has not been an easy task.

Many other methods of rooting the upgraded LG Marquess had previously been attempted without success.

-To the sharing of knowledge.

Upvote 0
I tried rooting the normal way without success. I think it's great that you went to all the trouble of putting the alternate rooting method together. Thing is, I'm a smartphone newbie and my Marquee is my only net access so the prospect of trashing it scares me. This is likely a VERY dumb question, but isn't there any way to roll back the ZV4 update?

Also, .kdz, root zip and stock SW links don't work. Looks like the files have been either blocked or removed. :(

Upvote 0
I get an error message while trying this... updater goes thru its process and every things looks like it is going well untill a dialog box pops up saying... Upgrade error WParam:100 LParam:55... Help me please

You gotta have the drivers for your phone installed, then you gotta prepare your phone for the update, then it just comes down to timing it correctly.

If your on boost mobile turn your phone on as soon as you click on the install update.

If your on sprint then count to 12 before you turn your phone on after pressing the install update!

Upvote 0
Like many have said, thank you so much for this very detailed write-up.

I purchased my new Boost LG Marquee yesterday to replace my erratic prevail. I noticed that my phone was already upgraded to LG855ZV4 straight out of the factory sealed box. I didn't even get a chance to deny the update.

I have followed your directions to the T, but I cannot proceed past step 11. I have tried many combinations of powering on and clicking program button. I've triple checked everything, i.e. java version on my PC, usb driver, disabled modem usb driver etc.. fully boots to home screen which you've already indicated, means it didn't take.

What

Upvote 0
I can give you a couple pointers.

1. Make sure your using a computer that has usb 2.0 ports. If your on an older pc with usb 1.0 this could be the problem.

2. If the computer is old in general and slower that may be the problem.

3. It's all about timing if your on a slower older computer try counting to 5 before turning on your phone. If that don't work try counting to 10 then 15.

This is best done on a dual/quad core windows 7. Either way you should be able to push the update to the phone.

Just keep trying you will eventually time it right and it will take the kdz update.

Upvote 0
please help i have installed driver and keep getting an error message (Upgrade error WParam:100 LParam:52) not sure what i am doing wrong? i have rooted my old prevail so this would be my second time doing this and it should be very simple... just don't understand whats wrong i have installed drivers followed all steps and also tried over and over with diff timing on turning the phone on.
thanks,

Upvote 0
i'm nervous about doing this and bricking my phone . there are a lot of steps to follow.

It's not as difficult as it seems, and it doesn't take nearly as long as one would think looking at the guide.

It's short and quick, just seems like a lot of steps the way I wrote it up, I just wanted to give the process in full detail so everyone would be able to follow along.

Reactions: 76ford90lx
Upvote 0
I am using a pretty old pc, its running win xp, with a quad core q6600 with 4gb of ddr2.

I cannot get past step 11, getting the same errors as the previous posters.

Thinking about trying another pc...

anyone got around this yet?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

~BBA

Edit*** used win7 pc with quad core..... had no issues what so ever.

faster pc is like vicodin, takes the pain away instantly =]

Upvote 0
It took me two hours to get the timing right, but finally I got it.I got to step 14 and all it says when I hit the random key is "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file." Can anyone please help? This root has been an absolute nightmare.

I got the same error when rooting my Transform Ultra...I hadn't disabled my antivirus(Norton) PRIOR to downloading the files. Try disabling you're antivirus, then re-download. Hope that helps! :]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones