• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Zte warp elite N5918

Perhaps it's not too popular. There's nothing particularly special about it, yet another commodity mid-range China phone, and there's literally hundreds of them out there. And if there's no root for it, it's probably not going to be of much interest to anyone that likes devices they can root, hack and customize. Don't think I've ever seen one myself, I'm in China so do see a lot of ZTEs of course. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
There wasn't much interest in our Warp Syncs until I Rooted the first one and posted it. ..then it picked up a bit. I feel it would have gone a lot better if I hadn't bricked and it virtually shut everything down. At least we got a recovery and stock ROM outta the deal before I made that mistake! @phenomx4 is doing us up some custom ROMs now and this device has lots of life kickin'! The Elite has identical CPU as the Sync also. Just a thought for you guys who're tired of a quadcore without Root

Upvote 0
I think it is due to lack of interest. This is because:

1) It is a Boost Mobile phone, can only be used on Sprint network.
2) ZTE is a relatively new manufacturer.
3) The phone itself does not seem to have loads of bloatware. At least the one I bought from BestBuy has lots of Google stuff, but nothing particularly troubling. Maybe there is less need to root. I am on a metered plan, so I need to install a firewall app, but even that seems to have a solution (I forgot the name of the "non-root" firewall app).
4) The phone came out late 2015; at that time there is probably not much to exploit...

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
We can somehow cause an interger overflow (which utilizes stagefright) to possibly write a root code into the system. For example.. Input a malicious code inside of a video that would exceed 65565 bytes causing stagefright to loop constantly. that would keep system privledges elevated long enough to achieve permanent root It would be in a different format than most root apps though like maybe a video instead of a one click root it would be a playback of a video. This one would need to be used in messaging or hangouts in order to execute arbitrary code to elevate to system privledges.. I'm no dev but I think that there is someone out there that could help us formulate a plan using messaging. It would be a revolutionary access point for root.

Upvote 0
Can we maybe have someone write a customer recovery based off of the zmax or even better based off of our firmware? Possibly use a third party flashing app like flashify or can we utilize metamorphosis? I know it was primarily used to modify system files... Just a thought. We really need a tester phone to explore some of these avenues. This is my daily so bricking is not an option. Or maybe we can ask ZTE really really nicely

Upvote 0
Can we maybe have someone write a customer recovery based off of the zmax or even better based off of our firmware? Possibly use a third party flashing app like flashify or can we utilize metamorphosis? I know it was primarily used to modify system files... Just a thought. We really need a tester phone to explore some of these avenues. This is my daily so bricking is not an option. Or maybe we can ask ZTE really really nicely

Won't happen or be capable until Root 1st. Metamorphosis is for deodexed ROMs only, to theme. Need Root to pull the boot.img and recovery.img to even begin compiling a custom recovery

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh yeah I forgot lol the last time I used metamorphosis was on my mate35 haha it's been a while well any suggestions on where to start? Maybe toy with sending and receiving video files from messaging or hangouts and running kingroot I know it's not setup for stagefright however there could be other vulnerabilities that aren't yet discovered while hangouts is going through the interger overflow deal

Upvote 0
Anyone know if there is a root yet?
No, we haven't magically attained Root and withholding info. Or someone would have certainly posted it by now. Especially me. Keep trying all versions of KR (not just the ones that look cool) and post/ report back when you're successful. The more you hold off on trying, the less likely ANYONE will get Root attained. Only those that try will succeed. [emoji41]

Upvote 0
I thought you sold your phone.
I've never sold a phone to anybody. Ever. Someone wanted a device I had once but changed their mind. I do not own the Elite but I keep heavy track of all the Warps in Rooting and development because I have friends that want the Elite after Root is attained. I MIGHT consider the Elite if I can get over an unnecessarily big screen. No hate involved, just keep trying to Root and post if/when ur successful. This device has so few ppl on it due to lack of Root right now. Help the development of your device by trying every process you can find, not waiting for everyone else do it for you. I apologize for coming across as a turd but when there's no Root for a device that you own, YOU (the owner) are it's only hope. Our Warp Syncs didn't have Root until I tried everything and kept trying every possibility until I actually succeeded (3 months later) and posted for everyone else to use. Races don't get won by sitting on the sidelines and asking ppl to count the hurdles for you, you gotta step up and set that bar yourself. Keep checking on KR and trying their newer versions periodically instead of asking other ppl if your work has been done..

Upvote 0
I agree, been trying everything. King root still not working. You still work at Verizon?
No sir, never worked at Verizon. Just done a cpl ROMs for some users. Must have me confused with other ppl. At least you've been keeping track of it then. I even sent KingxTeam some info a few Wks ago to try and help Rooting exploits, now up to them to implement into their apk (if usable).

Upvote 0
Oh ok, this guy had a similar or same avatar and he was talking about how he worked at Verizon and how he hated AT&T so much. He was saying they never have good service and the phones never work.

Lol guess I had the wrong person. Either way, the King Root waiting list hasn't moved an inch in last 2 months if anything it looks like the position has gotten higher. We may get a root when the phone is completely out of date... Haha or maybe a miracle will happen. Who knows..

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones