• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted 1.2 and the 1.3 update

colchiro

Extreme Android User
Jun 4, 2010
This thread is reserved for discussion of updating from rooted 1.2 to 1.3 and maintaining root OR blocking the 1.3 update.

To ManualNooter a stock 1.3 NC (all new ones), follow this thread: [NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers
Your instructions start at this section, about one page down: 1.3 Must do these instructions first with 4.5.18, reboot, then flash with 4.6.16.

Here's info regarding blocking the 1.3 update:
With new update pending, what is best way to block OTA updates? - xda-developers

How to reroot after updating to 1.3: How to reroot after the B&N 1.3 update - xda-developers

Many of these guides use an outdated bootable sdcard. For best results use my bootable sdcard guide (or use the 3rd post to update yours): How to make a bootable CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery sd card

Old speculation and info:
I just read this on XDA:

GMPOWER said:
MN (ManualNooter) works with the 1.3 update as long as you do a factory reset/upgrade. The individual that made the statement about the market not working tried to make an upgrade from 1.2 without doing a reset, this caused the market to not work. The ramdisk file that is in the MN package is the same as 1.3, and the kernel is very similar that it will still work correctly. I have put together the new kernel for 1.3, but have not given it over to GabrialDestruir for an update. The only issue that is happening with MN on 1.3 is that the app2sd does not work correctly, apps like angry birds that need it to download work correctly, but you can

Reactions: Frisco and tigger2u
got dreaded 1.3 ud rammed down my throat...er rooted blue dot nc. so rerooted with cwm 3201 and installed mn 4.6.16.. everything is back (mkt. gmail youtube, superuser etc...... except dalingrins tweaks wants a different kernal. so far so good i may try to load froyo 1.2 oc kernal again or prolly wait for a new 1.3 specific kernal. i miss the speed but at least i'm back up. build.prop shows 1.3 thru out:) cocomm

Upvote 0
Hi, noob here with a few questions. I've got a NC which was rooted with MN 4.6.16. Now just got update 1.3 rammed down my throat. And I find myself without Gmail & Market.

Can I just run MN 4.6.16 again from my flashed CWM SD card as per the original instructions in the link below, from steps 1-13, and get my Gmail & Market back?

<sorry I can't post link. it's from xda-developers, titled [NC][1.2 ONLY] ManualNooter 4.6.16 by GabrialDestruir

And if I do, will it erase all the programs and data (from the programs or games that I've played halfway)?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
See Colchiro's first post in this thread, and follow the links he supplied.
It appears that manual nooter will work for 1.3, but you should probably do some of your own research to see exactly what will be lost.
As I recall the way MN worked on 1.2 (it's been a while since I rooted) you didn't lose any of your current settings until you flashed the first ROM. I'd expect it to work the same way on 1.3, but that's just a guess.
If you have Titanium backup installed (and it still works after the 1.3 update) you could try backing up Birds.

Upvote 0
I see MN post has been updated for 1.2 AND 1.3: [NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers

Users that have previously run MN do NOT need to wipe data. :D

You need to flash MN 4-5-18, then flash the latest MN, 4-6-16. Check out the directions in the above link.

Is it possible to update the Flash player app after this? I have heard that it should NOT be done via market download. Any comments are welcomed. Thank you.

Upvote 0
For some reason that first link no longer exists. I viewed all the posts of contributing people and nothing. Not sure why it would have been deleted. Database corruption or having to restore a backup might be the problem tho.

RE: Market.... I noticed the same thing when I did a factory reset prior to giving my NC to my sister-in-law. You have to uninstall market updates, then open market. If you want to keep that market version, you can freeze or rename market updater.apk.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I know old post, but I just rooted 1.3 for the first time, so don't have an answer.

I just rooted 1.3:

• Booted off bootable 3.2.0.1 sdcard with MN 4-5-18 AND 4-6-18 on it.
  • Flashed MN 4-5-18
  • removed sdcard
  • booted into rom and set Zeam Launcher (not my first choice) as my default.
  • shut down, reinserted my sdcard and powered on,
  • flashed MN 4-6-16
  • removed sdcard and restarted
  • opened Market... seemed ok, installed a couple purchased apps
  • opened Rom Manager and fixed permissions
  • opened softkeys so it works now.
  • restarted.

I must say, that coming from CM7, this is a joke. I don't care what book features you have, it's not as nice as CM7. :D

Upvote 0
Sorry, I know old post, but I just rooted 1.3 for the first time, so don't have an answer.

I just rooted 1.3:

• Booted off bootable 3.2.0.1 sdcard with MN 4-5-18 AND 4-6-18 on it.
  • Flashed MN 4-5-18
  • removed sdcard
  • booted into rom and set Zeam Launcher (not my first choice) as my default.
  • shut down, reinserted my sdcard and powered on,
  • flashed MN 4-6-16
  • removed sdcard and restarted
  • opened Market... seemed ok, installed a couple purchased apps
  • opened Rom Manager and fixed permissions
  • opened softkeys so it works now.
  • restarted.

I must say, that coming from CM7, this is a joke. I don't care what book features you have, it's not as nice as CM7. :D

So wait...what Rom is this if it isnt CM7?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones