1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Rooted 1.2 and the 1.3 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by colchiro, Aug 31, 2011.

1. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

This thread is reserved for discussion of updating from rooted 1.2 to 1.3 and maintaining root OR blocking the 1.3 update.

To ManualNooter a stock 1.3 NC (all new ones), follow this thread: [NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers
    Your instructions start at this section, about one page down: 1.3 Must do these instructions first with 4.5.18, reboot, then flash with 4.6.16.

Here's info regarding blocking the 1.3 update:
    With new update pending, what is best way to block OTA updates? - xda-developers

How to reroot after updating to 1.3: How to reroot after the B&N 1.3 update - xda-developers

Many of these guides use an outdated bootable sdcard. For best results use my bootable sdcard guide (or use the 3rd post to update yours): How to make a bootable CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery sd card

Old speculation and info:
    I just read this on XDA:

Advertisement

Frisco and tigger2u like this.
  2. colchiro

reserved for update info.

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Bookmarked.

4. cocomm

cocomm Newbie

got dreaded 1.3 ud rammed down my throat...er rooted blue dot nc. so rerooted with cwm 3201 and installed mn 4.6.16.. everything is back (mkt. gmail youtube, superuser etc...... except dalingrins tweaks wants a different kernal. so far so good i may try to load froyo 1.2 oc kernal again or prolly wait for a new 1.3 specific kernal. i miss the speed but at least i'm back up. build.prop shows 1.3 thru out:) cocomm

5. colchiro

Nook Tweaks is for newer kernel (nightlies)

Dalingrin has already said no more kernels for Froyo or Stock... only what's included with CM7.

cocomm likes this.
  6. ornoktree

ornoktree Lurker

Hi, noob here with a few questions. I've got a NC which was rooted with MN 4.6.16. Now just got update 1.3 rammed down my throat. And I find myself without Gmail & Market.

Can I just run MN 4.6.16 again from my flashed CWM SD card as per the original instructions in the link below, from steps 1-13, and get my Gmail & Market back?

<sorry I can't post link. it's from xda-developers, titled [NC][1.2 ONLY] ManualNooter 4.6.16 by GabrialDestruir

And if I do, will it erase all the programs and data (from the programs or games that I've played halfway)?

Thanks in advance!

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

See Colchiro's first post in this thread, and follow the links he supplied.
    It appears that manual nooter will work for 1.3, but you should probably do some of your own research to see exactly what will be lost.
    As I recall the way MN worked on 1.2 (it's been a while since I rooted) you didn't lose any of your current settings until you flashed the first ROM. I'd expect it to work the same way on 1.3, but that's just a guess.
    If you have Titanium backup installed (and it still works after the 1.3 update) you could try backing up Birds.

8. colchiro

9. colchiro

I see MN post has been updated for 1.2 AND 1.3: [NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers

Users that have previously run MN do NOT need to wipe data. :D

You need to flash MN 4-5-18, then flash the latest MN, 4-6-16. Check out the directions in the above link.

gsutton likes this.
  10. gsutton

gsutton Newbie

Is it possible to update the Flash player app after this? I have heard that it should NOT be done via market download. Any comments are welcomed. Thank you.

11. cocomm

cocomm Newbie

hi all, my blue dot 1.3 ecm'ed nc is back to normal...rooted and oc'ed at 1100 + sound mods etc. i noticed dalingrin had a new kernel for emmc @ 1.3
    Index of /~dalingrin/nook/kernels/090111
    i used the 63011 with success after the ecm from b&n. great site, cocomm

12. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

first link in thread is dead

having problems finding the thread on why TONS of apps arent showing in market...
    just rooted a 1.3 nook

13. colchiro

For some reason that first link no longer exists. I viewed all the posts of contributing people and nothing. Not sure why it would have been deleted. Database corruption or having to restore a backup might be the problem tho.

RE: Market.... I noticed the same thing when I did a factory reset prior to giving my NC to my sister-in-law. You have to uninstall market updates, then open market. If you want to keep that market version, you can freeze or rename market updater.apk.

14. tigger2u

tigger2u Lurker

Thanks for the post, colchiro.

Any idea if the updated kernels support B&N's stock cut and paste function? I miss that the most when I root.

15. colchiro

Sorry, I know old post, but I just rooted 1.3 for the first time, so don't have an answer.

I just rooted 1.3:

• Booted off bootable 3.2.0.1 sdcard with MN 4-5-18 AND 4-6-18 on it.
    • Flashed MN 4-5-18
    • removed sdcard
    • booted into rom and set Zeam Launcher (not my first choice) as my default.
    • shut down, reinserted my sdcard and powered on,
    • flashed MN 4-6-16
    • removed sdcard and restarted
    • opened Market... seemed ok, installed a couple purchased apps
    • opened Rom Manager and fixed permissions
    • opened softkeys so it works now.
    • restarted.

I must say, that coming from CM7, this is a joke. I don't care what book features you have, it's not as nice as CM7. :D

16. bsems1000

bsems1000 Android Enthusiast

So wait...what Rom is this if it isnt CM7?

17. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

Going by the version numbers, I assume it's the B&N firmware v1.2, 1.3 under discussion. 1.4.1 is a bit more compelling, but will surely disappoint those after the "Android Tablet" experience.

18. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

As of v1.4.1, no, at least not in the B&N native apps. Cut & paste between other Android apps appears to work.