• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted 2.1.. Should I switch? How?

Anyone used THIS method for the OTA? I used Androot for 2.1 and am just curious if I can simply unroot, do the OTA, then use this method to root again. Suggestions?

I used it after the R2D2 leak/mod. I was on 2.3.7 Tranquility until yesterday and I decided to do the OTA since I could still have my phone the way I wanted it with the OTA.

To go to the OTA, I would start by flashing the SBF to avoid potential problems.

1. Get all files needed at any point for any possibility before starting.

2. Check this out to get ROM Manager, Bootstrap, and everything needed to recover from pre-2.2OTA issues and prepare to go to the OTA.

3. Flash the SBF

4. Download and install the OTA

5. For post-2.2 OTA issues, go here or get the Team Black Hat app from the app store.

6. Root using the Droid2 method in "The Bomb" or the semi-one-click from DroidLife

7. Install ROM Manager and Bootstrap Recovery from "The Bomb"

8. Make a backup

To deodex, you can use 928Droid's Deodexing deodexing theme or you can deodex manually with this tutorial.

You can also use P3's Tranquility 2.3.7 or drod2169's rubiX Focused 0.3 which are blurless ROMs that will deodex you as well (2 for 1).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones