1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted, but have battery questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CoyotesFan4Evr, Jan 18, 2014.

1. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    You don't really want to know.
    Phoenix
    So, I'm rooted and running nos m7 rom along with nova prime. Now I fought trying wi-fi like everyone else including my household does. Finally I started trying it at home and not only did my data go way down but my battery improved in life. I had always had the experience of using wi-fi with past phones and it sucking the battery.

Now I don't have access to wi-fi at work because I work at a bank call center. So my battery with minimal use doesn't last an 8 hour day at work. I am just wondering what can I do to prolong my battery? I have a task killer that has always acted perfectly. So I don't think it's that. Anything will help. Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Task killers actually use more battery. Android has a task killer. Let it work. There's always going to be something in RAM, whether it's a task or random garbage.

In Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM. This isn't Windows. Read RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care Most of your RAM should always be used.

As far as getting a whole day on a battery at work, carry a spare battery with you. They're small, they're cheap and they're easy to swap. (I wouldn't own a phone in which they're not.) Or, at least keep the phone plugged in at all times at work. The battery will drain slower.

scotty85 likes this.
  3. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    But I love my task killer....:( And, it's a DNA. They don't have removable batteries. Which I love. This has become a recent development for me because when I was the stay at home dad I would leave my phone on the charger for a good part of the day, and if I want able to then I would be on wi-fi in which my battery drain was almost non-existent.

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I've recently picked up a DNA and have been using it at work,where it is heavily abused with constant pestering to check time,email,ocasional internet browsing,GPS/navigation(i drive for a living so having a working phone/gps/internet is important) and I found while on the 100% srock 2.07 sense 4 build that battery life was exceptional,getting me past the 8 hour mark regularly even with the aforementioned abuse,and 2-3 hours of Bluetooth phone calls.

I've recently flashed cm11 and in its current stage of development,battery life is noticably worse(tho still tolerable)

So I've a couple comments:

1) it may be inefficiency in your custom rom

2) you may have an app succking the battery down. you can study what uses the battery,and download a wakelock detector from the play store,wich will tell you what wakes the phone from deep sleep,sucking down attery in the process. I put a vol rocker wake app on my GFs one s,and her battery life dropped from a couple days per charge down to not not making it thru an 8 hour workday :eek: The wakelock detector helped me pinpoint the app.

Other than that,if you go thru spurts of not using your phone at work,you could always place it in airplane mode. If the phone is struggling to find signal,that sucks a lot of battery.

I do use mine on an att based straight talk,so i guess its possible that's a factor as well... Maybe the gsm radio simply uses less battery than vzw's dual radio LTE setup

5. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Well, I had to reflash my rom the other week as you and I talked about in another thread Scotty. But before that I was starting to notice the issue with the battery. My phone gets great 4G signal at work. I have the setting set for deep sleep when it's not being used for a certain amount of time. So if I use my phone for a few minutes before work, 10 minutes on break, 45minutes on lunch, and 10 minutes on last break, I should last three whole day on battery until I get to my truck. This is with no WiFi. But my battery is almost gone by this point with that usage.

The rom I run has lost support, I'm still hopeful someone will pick it up and finish the upgrade to sense 5.5 and android 4.4 I have to find time to dig into how to create my own rom so I can start getting my feet wet as a dev. Anyways, I'll try what you suggested Scotty. I have a volume wake up patch installed but it hasn't worked since the reflash.

Worst case scenario at the end of the month I'll see if funds are there to do my upgrade and go get the one max.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes,you should definately get more life than that. Sounds like something is going on. Im not in WiFi at all during the day either,and mine is as good or better with heavy use.

In the case of my one s,it was the vol wake app,but it could be anything. Hopefully you can find it :)

If nothing else,you might try being stock for a couple days so you have something to compare to.

7. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I'll do some serious research when I get home. I wouldn't mind going back to stock since I run nova launcher and I would get the new update that is out. But I think, even though I will have to redo my whole phone I might flash omni rom or something similar. I need to read back up on everything.

If the thread on xda for my rom wasn't closed I could ask questions about my current issue.

8. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Here you go coyotes,for S&Gs heres my usage for today on less efficient cm11. I unplugged at 98%.

uploadfromtaptalk1390274321076.jpg

9. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Well Scotty I'm going to go back to stock rooted at some point today. The battery life issue I could manage with until I get my one max. However there are other issues that I've been ignoring and making do with because the battery life was my concern. I am just wanting clarification on being able to stay rooted once I take the new update.

10. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Taking the ota will typically wipe out your root access,wich is no big deal. Your s off will not change,so wenever you want,you can:
    -Add a custom recovery
    -flash superuser

If you use superSU,the paid version has an OTA survival mode wich may allow you to prserve root acces without the above. I update my DNA by flashing the newest cm11 nightly,so I've not had much experience with it personally. it did work for my friend wen he updated from 2.07 to the newest build. YMMV :)

11. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I already use superSU. And have TWRP. Will that wipe out if I do the update?

12. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Again,coyotes,You cannot take the update on twrp. You need stock recovery,2.07 firmware and software,all bloat installed. I.e.,everything must be stock.

If you want to.be on the stock ota,don't forget you can always update by installing a stock rooted rom with twrp,then install a custom firmware package via fastboot. As I've said many times wen the subject of updates comes up,the ota is not magical. :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48250930

13. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Well, I stayed away from going back to stock with root. Instead I flashed Nusense. I had to do the dreaded factory reset.... Still setting things up at the moment but so far it's smooth and I like it.

On that note, I haven't been able to find how to edit my contacts list the way I want. I've found other ways but none of them do what I need. I don't want Twitter and Facebook contacts to be in my phonebook. I only want contacts that I have phone numbers for and are friends with on Facebook and Twitter to by synced.