• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROOTED but no Wifi tethering/hotspot

Good morning Gents,

I recently purchased the Samsung GS2 from Boost Mobile.

I rooted it using Guyphs method. Its running 4.0.4 and FL24.

My phone now says:

Baseline Version: S:D710.10S.FL24
Kernel Version: 3.0.42+ AGAT_FI27_Kernal #v0.6.8
Build Number: IMM76I.FL24

Does this look right to you?

Also,

I am having issues with Wi-Fi tethering/Hotspot. I have tried PDANET+ (Foxfi), Barnacle and WiFi Tehtering (yellow Wifi Symbol) and none of them work.

PDANET says its connected and I can see the network on my computer but when I try to connect it tells me I cannot connect to this network.

When using Barnacle and Wifi Tethering I get an error message about Ad-hoc mode not set.

Reactions: BoSoxSYCO
Upvote 0
OP, i suggest getting the latest wifi tether from the googlecode page. it's much more up to date than the one on the market.

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

in testing, i used wifi tether 3.2 beta 2 with my profile set to the epic 4g touch and mode set to infrastructure. it worked great.

What is the best ROM/Kernel/Modem combo to use for the best wifi tethering?

Tethering is the main reason for rooting.

Upvote 0
I have been looking through different forums and reading thread so long that all the words just seem to blend in at this point. I have learned a lot from you guys and I thank you all very much.

I have read a lot about making sure you have the right combination but 1 thing I have not seen is something that shows what ROMs/Kernels/Modems play well together.

As in my previous post, I'm interested in getting stable wifi tethering to work.

I am currently on:
FI22
The Kernel says: 3.0.15-981989

If someone doesn't mind dummifying things for me i would appreciate it.

I have been leaning towards 1 of the following:
-Kobridge Deodexed Stock ROM+Agat with GB08 Repacked v3 (4.1.2)
-GB08 Stock Rooted FL26
-Touched By SG SIII GB08

Upvote 0
I would not recommend the repack kernels for TW JB as a daily driver. They still have issues, and until source is available the issues will most likely remain. GB08 ROM running stock kernel is plenty nice. Do remember that the TW JB Roms require you to be on compatible modems for them and will not work with the ICS modems.

So if I use the Kobridge Deodexed Stock GB08 ROM, could I not use the JB-GB08 Stock-Kernel and the Modem-JB-GB08 modem?

If not, what modem and kernel do you recommend?

Also, I am on FI22 right now, can I flash the ROM from here or do I need to be on another build 1st?

Upvote 0
Yes you can use the stock kernel. You should flash the modem for GB08 as well. Simply follow the instructions on the OP for that ROM The link to it is in the One Stop Shop. The OP for the ROM contains the links for the stock kernel and modem for it as well.

So I used Odin and loaded the ROM and now it keeps booting to the 4G screen

Upvote 0
I used the One click install of the rooted leak. it has its own Odin installer and will setup everything. I would do the full restore one if not already on a working TW JB

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...3-magic-beans-origional-flavor-fk23-gb08.html

I am now on GB08 ROM, Kernel and modem but I still cannot get tethering to work. I have tried Wifi Tether and PDAnet. Has anyone got this to work yet? If so, what app and how did you do it.

Also, my MMS is not working.
I tried Terminal Emulator (Does not give me MSL # when I punch in command. it just goes to the next line), alogcat (when I go back into the app there is no MSL # there. it says reading logs, please wait), get my MSL does not give me #) and anycut (stops working when I try to create a shortcut).

Upvote 0
I am now on GB08 ROM, Kernel and modem but I still cannot get tethering to work. I have tried Wifi Tether and PDAnet. Has anyone got this to work yet? If so, what app and how did you do it.

I tried Terminal Emulator (Does not give me MSL # when I punch in command. it just goes to the next line), alogcat (when I go back into the app there is no MSL # there. it says reading logs, please wait), get my MSL does not give me #) and anycut (stops working when I try to create a shortcut).

Get your MSL from Boost (easiest) or there is a process involving alogcat. Check out the one stop shop under known fixes. You have to change two settings for MMS to work. You need your MSL to do it, but it is very easy to do. There is also info on getting tether to work in the One Stop Shop.

Upvote 0

For tethering, read this. Tried it on GB08 and works for both 3G and 4G.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34975593

For getting MSL to fix MMS, read this. Got my MSL from Boost but you can try this method.
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5537792

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones