• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted, but what to do?

Dark2456

Dec 25, 2011
Iowa
Hello everyone, i have a rooted evo 4g and no clue what to do with it. Ive tried running cm7, and like the notification bar but I hate the sms and browser apps. I also seem to have trouble with flash with this rom, And ive tried all the other roms on rom manager but they just seem outdated. Now on to my kernel... I'm running the regular stock rooted rom withthe aggressive freedom kernel so I can have some control over my cpu. So on to the question can someone point me in the direction of a good rom using the stock sms and stock browser, maybe has a notification bar similar to cm 7 and can use the tiamat sbc kernel. I want to get the most out of my rooted evo but no ideal where to go and what to use. So any ideals or thread links would be greatly appreciated and sorry im a noob to this forum

Did you flash with ROM manager? I (and every other user on here) would recommend NEVER using rom manager to flash. Always flash manually through recovery. ROM Manager is buggy and you will often see issues because of that.

With that said, there are many alternative SMS and browsers out there. My SMS program of choice is GO SMS. It is HIGHLY customizable and pretty much better than the stock HTC Messenger or the default Android one. HTC's browser is admittedly good. There are several you can try though. I kind of like the default browser on AOSP, but I have used Dolphin. I think Opera makes a pretty good browser. Just check out the market and see what you like.

Upvote 0
Ive just got the hang off using clockwork to flag everything and I agree its alot better I have tried a few browsers and sms but both that tove mentioned I've never tried. I'll go ahead and test now.... The main reason I want a rom its so I can overclock under volt. Ive had a bit of experience with flashing themes which its nice if I don't care for the roms, but I can't find anything thats like cm7's power bar. I would just use cm 7 but it just seems buggy to me.

Upvote 0
Ive just got the hang off using clockwork to flag everything and I agree its alot better I have tried a few browsers and sms but both that tove mentioned I've never tried. I'll go ahead and test now.... The main reason I want a rom its so I can overclock under volt. Ive had a bit of experience with flashing themes which its nice if I don't care for the roms, but I can't find anything thats like cm7's power bar. I would just use cm 7 but it just seems buggy to me.

over and underclocking is not done with the roms per se (unless you are in cm7 which has a cpu scaling built in). first you will need to flash a custom kernel to go with your rom and next you will need setcpu to fine tune the kernel (again,unless you use cm7's built in one).

here are some readings for you:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

hope that helps. also do not use rom manager. and you might want to think about changing recoveries to amon ra. it is way better then clockwork mod. you nandroid backups with cwm will not work with amon ra, however.

you can get instructions on how to switch in the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html.

Reactions: Dark2456
Upvote 0
This is great guys thanks alot I used rom manager because clockwork didnt worktoo well I will definitely checkout amon ra and the asop rom you just gave me sound exactly like what I want. Thank you. I got under and over clocking down but I found that any kernel other then stock allows me to overclock to 1.26 I think which is where my phone stops being responsive after that and I tried using vipermod to undervolt but didnt figure it out to well sometimes I could use 800 other times I went into a boot loop but thank you ill definitely try these out. Also I was using android overclock but I just learned setcpu works so much better.

Upvote 0
This is great guys thanks alot I used rom manager because clockwork didnt worktoo well I will definitely checkout amon ra and the asop rom you just gave me sound exactly like what I want. Thank you. I got under and over clocking down but I found that any kernel other then stock allows me to overclock to 1.26 I think which is where my phone stops being responsive after that and I tried using vipermod to undervolt but didnt figure it out to well sometimes I could use 800 other times I went into a boot loop but thank you ill definitely try these out. Also I was using android overclock but I just learned setcpu works so much better.

for me with setcpu the highest i could go was 1190 before my phone freaks out. i also can uderclock the phone at 124 with no issues. setcpu is awesome.

and definitely go with amon ra.

Upvote 0
Well got amon ra going and looked into aosp roms the xplod rom was close I like how fast it was going but didn't have a theme I could flash over its framework. Also tried flashing tiamat kernel wiyh it but it just kept sending me in a boot loop so I'm going to figure out what im doing wrong with that. For science!

Upvote 0
No need to flash a theme with AOSP roms. Most all of them utilize an app called "Theme Chooser" which will basically skin your entire rom without having to bother with flashing anything. The benefit? Change themes as quickly as you can without ever having to nand restore!

If you're a fan of blues, there is no better blue theme out there than Lawson's Decked Out Blues. It's a paid app, but the best free blue theme is Epic Blue n Bold. Some other good ones are Mixer, iKandee (and several other by that same dev are pretty good). Just do a market search for CM7 theme and you'll be amazed how many there are. Minimalbread is a great one if you like a more simplistic look.

And don't forget with GoSMS, there are lots of themes available for download on that as well. I hate their stock look, but Team Carbon makes a great free blue theme that looks great with my Decked out Blues theme.

Upvote 0
I've noticed I'm mired of a sense Rom kinda guy just flashed the isc Rom to try it out. Didn't kno themes were on market got use to just changing the framework on a Rom. With amon ra I'm flashing and going nuts with roms, good call on changing that. appreciate the help guys. I'm currently trying mods out and found a few I like for quick settings... I'm having a ton of fun

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones