• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted CDMA Desire and OTA Update to GPS

So I have a CDMA Desire that I rooted to deal with deleting an app that failed to install correctly. In doing so, I broke the ability to apply an OTA to fix a problem with the GPS, as it gets kicked out by clockworkmod recovery when it attempts to apply it after restart. I hadn't done enough research to find out that unrooting CDMA phones is still in it's infancy, with no RUUs for my carrier (GCI in Alaska) out there, nor one for the other two Alaska CDMA carriers who have the phone, too. I'd dispense with it if I could find a mature Froyo CDMA ROM, but the CDMA ROM I've found is a bit to underbaked for my tastes.

So, I've seen references to renaming an OTA update to update.zip in the root directory of the sdcard and applying it via clockworkmod recovery. My concern is the potential for bricking the phone doing this. I did a nandroid backup this afternoon, and nothing that's been done since then was local to the phone, so there's nothing to be concerned about there, however, the recovery screen implies that if I try it and it doesn't work, it can't be undone.

Can anyone give me a bit of insight into the probability of bricking the phone if I try this?

Thanks,

David

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones