• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted days before the framerate version released. Step by step instructions?

ericshmerick

Jun 5, 2010
So, I rooted my EVO days before the recent September framerate fix was released. Now I need to "re-root" with the new version.

Hate to be dense, but how do I do this, as simple as possible? (steps, where to find the best ROM, etc). I'm just not sure what step to pick back up on and re-do the root with the new version. By the way, I used this walkthrough to do the initial 2.2 root (the videos are so easy to follow)

http://www.thedroiddemos.com/2010/08/27/how-to-root-the-htc-evo-4g-with-froyo-2-2-video-walkthrough/

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Go to the market and install "ROM Manager"

Download this myn-OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5-DEODEXED.zip which is [ROM] OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5 [ROOTED] [DEODEXED] [SIGNED] - xda-developers

Move that zip file to your SD card

Use ROM manager to "install ROM from SD card" and pick the zip file you just moved. (if ROM manager tells you it needs to install clockwork recovery let it do it first.)

Make sandwich and eat said sandwich while ROM installs.

Profit?
I'm in the same boat and have asked the same question a few times but can not get a consistent answer. I am rooted and would like the upgrade. Here is my question.

If I flash with what you have above, do I need to do a backup, and wipe before, and a reinstall of apps and content after I flash with the myn-OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5-DEODEXED.zip ? OR can I just flash with ROM manager kind of like if I were unrooted and just doing an OTA update?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat and have asked the same question a few times but can not get a consistent answer. I am rooted and would like the upgrade. Here is my question.

If I flash with what you have above, do I need to do a backup, and wipe before, and a reinstall of apps and content after I flash with the myn-OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5-DEODEXED.zip ? OR can I just flash with ROM manager kind of like if I were unrooted and just doing an OTA update?
According to others, you should be fine flashing this with just wiping cache and dalvik cache. But make a nandroid backup first to be on the safe side

Upvote 0
Thanks, So this is not like flashing a totally differnt ROM?
Any idea what might go wrong that I should look out for? IF all goes well should everything be the same as before, except for the frame rate and other updates?

You might be able to get away without wiping data but you ARE flashing a new ROM so a data wipe is recommended (as well as cache & dalvik cache). If you decide not to wipe, everything may seem fine at first but you may run into issues down the road which may lead you to re-flash anyway.

With that being said, if you do not wipe data then all of your apps and settings will be preserved. If I were you, I would use to Titanium Backup to backup all apps and settings, do a wipe, flash the rom, then restore using Titanium Backup.

Also, don't forget to flash the new radios that came with the OTA.

Upvote 0

Just flash it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones