1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Rooted days before the framerate version released. Step by step instructions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ericshmerick, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    So, I rooted my EVO days before the recent September framerate fix was released. Now I need to "re-root" with the new version.

Hate to be dense, but how do I do this, as simple as possible? (steps, where to find the best ROM, etc). I'm just not sure what step to pick back up on and re-do the root with the new version. By the way, I used this walkthrough to do the initial 2.2 root (the videos are so easy to follow)

http://www.thedroiddemos.com/2010/08/27/how-to-root-the-htc-evo-4g-with-froyo-2-2-video-walkthrough/

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Student / Dev
    Oklahoma
    Why don't you just flash the new rooted build instead of updating and re-rooting? All the same.

3. bigddybn

bigddybn Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Stuart, FL
  4. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Chiropractor
    Georgia
    I'm in the same boat and have asked the same question a few times but can not get a consistent answer. I am rooted and would like the upgrade. Here is my question.

If I flash with what you have above, do I need to do a backup, and wipe before, and a reinstall of apps and content after I flash with the myn-OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5-DEODEXED.zip ? OR can I just flash with ROM manager kind of like if I were unrooted and just doing an OTA update?

5. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    According to others, you should be fine flashing this with just wiping cache and dalvik cache. But make a nandroid backup first to be on the safe side

6. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Chiropractor
    Georgia
    Thanks, So this is not like flashing a totally differnt ROM?
    Any idea what might go wrong that I should look out for? IF all goes well should everything be the same as before, except for the frame rate and other updates?

7. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    NYC
    You might be able to get away without wiping data but you ARE flashing a new ROM so a data wipe is recommended (as well as cache & dalvik cache). If you decide not to wipe, everything may seem fine at first but you may run into issues down the road which may lead you to re-flash anyway.

With that being said, if you do not wipe data then all of your apps and settings will be preserved. If I were you, I would use to Titanium Backup to backup all apps and settings, do a wipe, flash the rom, then restore using Titanium Backup.

Also, don't forget to flash the new radios that came with the OTA.

8. bigddybn

Dec 3, 2009
    Stuart, FL
    I've flashed 3 phones so far. Didn't need to delete anything. All work great.

9. bigddybn

Dec 3, 2009
    Stuart, FL
    Just flash it.

Tags: