• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Desire won't load up

Davkaus

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
I rooted my Desire a couple of months ago, and all was working fine.

This morning everything was a bit sluggish, so I restarted it, and now it's going to the HTC "quietly brilliant" screen, and then reboots, it's stuck in this cycle. It's plugged into a power socket, it's certainly not a power issue.

Any ideas of what I can do to get this to load back up? I guess if this is bricked, I'm completely screwed, as Orange won't touch it now it's been rooted?

have tried taking the battery out and booting up again?

yep, also tried loading it up while holding the volume down button and clearing storage, loading it up without a memory card in, as I was told this could help. No such luck.

Do you have nandroid backup?

Nope. I had my contacts/messages synced with my Google account for backup, but doesn't this just back up data rather than the actual OS?

Frankly, the data can go to hell, it'd be nice if I could restore it, but at this point I'd be happy to just start from scratch if that's possible. I'm worried I'm just going to have to pay for a new phone.

My initial thought was to go through the process of rooting it again to get a clean isntall on it, but part of that requires it being up and running to move the files onto the phone.

I can only think of reporting a fault with Orange, and feigning ignorance of how it could have happened, I'm wary of being given a rather large bill, though.

Edit: Just saw what Nandroid actually does. Sure wish I'd known about that before I started.

Upvote 0
yep, also tried loading it up while holding the volume down button and clearing storage, loading it up without a memory card in, as I was told this could help. No such luck.

Nope. I had my contacts/messages synced with my Google account for backup, but doesn't this just back up data rather than the actual OS?

Frankly, the data can go to hell, it'd be nice if I could restore it, but at this point I'd be happy to just start from scratch if that's possible. I'm worried I'm just going to have to pay for a new phone.

My initial thought was to go through the process of rooting it again to get a clean isntall on it, but part of that requires it being up and running to move the files onto the phone.

I can only think of reporting a fault with Orange, and feigning ignorance of how it could have happened, I'm wary of being given a rather large bill, though.

Edit: Just saw what Nandroid actually does. Sure wish I'd known about that before I started.

Take your sd card out of the phone & put a rom & radio on there via your pc & card reader, then put the card back in the phone turn it on while pressing volume down.
Once in the root menu go through & install the new rom & radio.

If you dont get any joy copy everything off your sd card & format it, copy everything back to the card & then retry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones