• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Droid X on bootloop

shadowseph

Jun 22, 2011
Just fyi I've checked almost every single bootloop help thread before posting this so here goes:

I have a rooted Droid X on .595. I wanted to upgrade to .596 and when I hit the app "Droid X bootstrap" to reboot into recovery all it did was send me into a bootloop. I researched all solutions and even attempted to do a factory wipe (holding power + home then search after andy & exclamation sign shows up) because I was told Droid X bootstrap can get you there.

Then I tried to flash my Droid X but all the attempts have failed. Using 4.8 (then 4.9 afterwareds) RSD Lite, I had tried to use numerous .sbf files (from .340 to .596) to try and flash but the error remains the same: "flash failed" or "fail". Everything looks solid beforehand (Win 7 OS) and RSD detects the usb connected DX but that's as far as I can get.

Just so more info, I have used "Gingerbreak" app to root the phone and downloaded clockwork recovery as a backup recovery just in case Droid X bootstrap doesn't work but I didn't use clockwork at the time.

I even tried to let the bootloop continue for about 15 minutes to see if there was an end to this horror but still no go. I'm really out of options except going to Verizon and attempting for them to replace my phone (which I highly doubt) but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to this matter I would humbly appreciate you with gratitude.

Thank you.

(Edit: Just more info on the situation I used bootloader 30.04 when flashing an .sbf)

UPDATE: I have found a way to do a factory reset and now wiping. Will update if there is any complications.

UPDATE 2: After a few battery pulls, still no results getting the OS to boot up. Unfortunately, my situation still remains the same

Your mistake was using Droid X Bootstrap instead of Droid 2 Bootstrap. I know some people have gotten the Droid X version to work, but it's not the recommended route. Also, I've had serious problems getting RSDLite to work and I tried 4.7, 4.8, and 4.9 with all of them failing. Since then I use the Linux boot disc SBF method and it has never failed.

These are the steps you want to take:

1) Use Linux boot disc SBF method.
2) Use Z4Root to root.
3) Use Droid 2 Bootstrap.
4) Install the Team Black Hat two-step upgrade zips.
5) Profit.

Reactions: shadowseph
Upvote 0
Your mistake was using Droid X Bootstrap instead of Droid 2 Bootstrap. I know some people have gotten the Droid X version to work, but it's not the recommended route. Also, I've had serious problems getting RSDLite to work and I tried 4.7, 4.8, and 4.9 with all of them failing. Since then I use the Linux boot disc SBF method and it has never failed.

These are the steps you want to take:

1) Use Linux boot disc SBF method.
2) Use Z4Root to root.
3) Use Droid 2 Bootstrap.
4) Install the Team Black Hat two-step upgrade zips.
5) Profit.

Thanks. I will try this as a last attempt. Verizon's sending in a replacement handset but I'll be sure to give this a try beforehand.

Upvote 0
if vzw is sending you a replacement just sbf back to stock, do not root, just activate it and make sure everything is in working order, then send it back.

but thats one option you can do

In the OP, I stated I attempted to flash back but I didn't mention I also used both stock and rooted SBFs.

I"m going to attempt and us linux boot disc and try to get the sbf on that way.

Upvote 0
People sure can be quick to call up Verizon and ask for a replacement. 95% chance it isn't necessary in this case. I've borked my phone times and the only thing that really jammed me up was a dead battery. Luckily, you can order an external battery charger real cheap.

The phone tech did say it might be the battery and asked if I wanted a replacement battery. I told him just the handset because if it is indeed the battery I could easily just have that replaced at the store and just return the replacement.

I just wanted the replacement handset shipped to get things moving to rule out all possibilities.

Upvote 0
The phone tech did say it might be the battery and asked if I wanted a replacement battery. I told him just the handset because if it is indeed the battery I could easily just have that replaced at the store and just return the replacement.

I just wanted the replacement handset shipped to get things moving to rule out all possibilities.

I have had trouble with RSD lite too. On monday it gave me a hard time. It worked fine on ky new device when i had to SBF to get rid of the ota. My new x seems great i hope u can get things worked out!

Upvote 0
everyone has so many problems with rsdlite, i think since day one i have not had 1 issue lol, im on win7 32 bit as well
i dont run in admin
im not an admin on my own pc... lol dont ask
i updated moto drivers once, several months back, and thats it! lol

I run RSD Lite on four different Win 7 64-bit machines with no issues on any of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones