1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted Epic not showing up on mac!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by APhillipsPhoto, Aug 15, 2011.

1. APhillipsPhoto

None

Aug 15, 2011
    Photographer
    First of all I just want to say that rooted my phone months ago using one click root 2.5 and everything was fine. Next thing you know I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket and it was stuck on the black samsung screen.

By the way I am using a Mac.

So than I did a soft and hard reset and got nothing. I tried to re-flash the one click root and still nothing. So I found "heimdall one click app" and tried to do that and my phone is not recognized. I know there are no drivers for the samsung epic for mac, so I was just wondering if anyone knew how to fix this. If I could get my mac to see my epic I could un-brick my phone. Anyone can help??

p.s. what would happen if I took it to a sprint store? Could they help?

Advertisement

2. jigsaw

jigsaw Newbie
    None

May 15, 2011
    I think you may already know what the problem is.

3. Stringyquark

Stringyquark Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    You may have to try a friends or work computer. My pc wouldn't recognize my phone so I had to use my brothers computer. If you've tried a few usb cables and all the usb ports on the computer regardless of pc and mac, and it still won't recognize the phone try an other computer. Best of luck to you.

4. jimweda

jimweda Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Ouch jigsaw. And I thought the Android community was more friendlier and forgiving than that. :rolleyes: This is definitely not the place to take sides but I too am and have been a Mac person since 1985 and had to learn PC's for a couple jobs I had but I just couldn't deal with the unstability of Microsoft so I stuck with PC's. Sure, I wish I had a PC just so I can make attempting to root my Epic easier.

Either way, I'm sure you're just poking fun at us Mac people. ;)

I too am looking for an easy almost fool proof way to root my Epic. I'm only on OS X 10.4.1 and I've seen something for the Mac but it was Lion required. Looking for something I can use. Someone told me about EZroot so I'll have to keep researching this section or widen my search. Thanks for all the great info though. Because of the members here I've been able to make my stock Epic more stable than the dozens of customer support and tech support geeks who had no clue how to fix my phone. This is my 5th exchange in 30 days.

Jim

5. jimweda

None

Aug 16, 2011
    I am really getting fed up with my Epic 4G. I've have nothing but problems with this phone not working correctly since day one and 3 phones later in 2 weeks. Well, its been just over 2 months now dealing with a phone I cannot go a day without wanting to throw it at the wall because of one thing or another.

I finally found a solution for rooting that makes me feel a little more comfortable which is shown with video's by a member named qking or something like that. No need for a computer, everything can be done straight from the phone which I prefer since I'm also on a Mac and there doesn't seem to be an easy way for me to root my phone since it seems like the one's I did find require OS X 10.5 or higher and I'm on 10.4.1 and my laptop is not upgradable to 10.5.

Anyway, before I wanted to attempt rooting the phone using qkings' rooting without a computer I wanted to back everything up on my phone. The first week or so I had the phone I just plugged it into my laptop and it showed up on my desktop no problems. I was able to put some songs on the phone and all was fine. Now no matter what I do I can't get it to show up on the desktop. I have searched all over the forums and tried all the solutions I could find but it still will not show up on my laptop anymore. If I go into the network settings I can see the phone but I have no way of getting it to mount. I'm not sure why I was able to plug it in the first time and had no problems and now that I want to root I can't get it to show up on the desktop.

This just makes me rethink if rooting is what I should do. I see people talk about how much better their phones are once they've rooted but I also see a whole new set up problems from users that have rooted. It seems like "Root" or "No-Root" each side has its own set of different problems. I guess my question is, are the problems on the root side really worth doing it or is it just more the cool factor that you're not allowing Sprint or Samsung to control you and your phone. Are there issue's running any programs in the Marketplace when rooted or do you just have more choices because you now have access to "Root only" apps.

I'm still a noob at Android and Smartphones so I'm hoping someone will just take it easy on me and chime in without the negative slants. The way I see it, as an Android user I no longer see the lines of Mac vs. PC but more like Android vs. The Other OS's. Any help sincerely appreciated and if anyone has tried out the "Rooting without a computer" I'd really like to hear if there were any problems or was it basically as painless as it looked in qkings' video's. Thanks in advance.

Jim

P.S. qbking77. Didn't want to be disrespectful.

6. jimweda

None

Aug 16, 2011
    I finally got fed up enough to go ahead and take the plunge and root. The biggest problem is if you're Mac there isn't much you can do especially if you're using Mac OS X 10.4. I've seen a couple posts where they were using OS X 10.5 but that's $150 or whatever it cost right now to upgrade my Mac to. I could only go to 10.5 because I have the PowerPC and no Intel so I'm very limited.

I do have a brand new sealed OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 for use on up to 5 computers but like I said am not able to use it because of my PowerPC. Anyone have a legit copy of 10.5.xx they would want to trade my 10.6.3 version for so I can at least try to root my phone?

I tried using, for the last hour or so going the Root without a Computer way that qbking77 was kind enough to create video's for and show one step by step on how to go through the process. But, as my luck would have it which is typical for me with Sprint and Samsung I couldn't get past the first apk and start the root process of what I thought was going to be a great adventure. I'm still a little hesitant about going the computer route but I'm so frustrated that they haven't given us Gingerbread yet and don't think we'll be seeing ICS since they're even saying that the Galaxy SII probably won't see it for a very long time. I think its some kind of hardware issue or something with our phones.

Anyway, I think I'm giving up on playing around with Gingerbreak until I hear from someone who can help me figure out why I can't root my phone going the "without a computer" method. It's so frustrating being that close.

BTW, I'm running a stock Froyo set up and I have uninstalled all virus protection and automatic back up apps I thought was getting in the way. The only thing I do see sometimes is the Scanning Media running sometimes but I don't think I can turn that off for rooting. Any info would be greatly appreciated and please, no Mac jokes. It's already old and we're supposed to get along here. We're on the same team with the Galaxy and Android line. Thanks.

Jim