1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

rooted evo 4G not updating apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by congaman59, Sep 11, 2011.

1. congaman59

congaman59 Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago my phone stopped updating apps from the markets, any market. I can download and install apps, but they won't update. The down arrow starts then I get
    def"...
    can not update to usb storage or on sd card

I tried wiping the dalvac cash. and fixing permissions.
    The phone is running 2.2 is rooted with unrevoked 3 and is running the stock rom.

Advertisement

2. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast

from what its saying, it seems to me that you have apps moved to your sd card??? if thats the case try moving them back to your phone and update...

3. congaman59

That works but there are like 14 apps that need to update and the ones on the SD card have always updated before. Plus I have to let it run through all the updates every time. Not really a fic. thanks,

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

try wiping dalvik cache and cache. also how much internal memory do you have?

5. congaman59

Do you mean the app cash? I did that. I have 46.25MB left on the internal mem. and a whole bunch on the SD card

6. ocnbrze

no in recovery wipe dalvik cache and cache. is your card partitioned?

7. congaman59

no it's not its a 32gb card and has 25.29 gb left unused.

8. ocnbrze

try moving your apps back to internal memory and see if you can update it after.

9. congaman59

I tried that but I don't have enough room but for one at a time. and there are like 18 or so that need updating. This is the first time I have had trouble with the market updating the apps on the card. I'm thinking about getting a better card, and maybe a class 6. maybe a 16gb this time.

10. congaman59

when you said wipe the cash did you mean wipe the cash partition?

11. ocnbrze

yes in your recovery wipe dalvik cache and cache (in clockwork mod it is cache partition)

12. congaman59

after the cash wipe is complete. I get
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    (file exists)
    dalvik cache wiped.

13. ocnbrze

not sure if this is related to your issue but i just looked up your error and it seems that it is associated with clockwork mod recovery. i would suggest that you switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery. go and use this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. go to the switching recovery section to get the instructions on how to do it.

14. congaman59

Can I do that without re-rooting the phone?
    The reason I asked is, I would like to upgrade to ginger-cake, but I didn't know if I had to take care of this problem first.
    I am not running a different rom or kernel, both are stock.
    the last time I checked I had to unroot the phone then re-root to do the upgrade.
    I have a clockwork back-up pf the whole phone, over on my PC, I did right before this problem started. (I forgot to tell you folks that) I Don't knowif this will make things easier, or not.

15. ocnbrze

no do not follow the whole guide. there is a section in the guide that has directions on how to switch recoveries. i think that it is a clockwork mod issue. i have amon ra on my phone and have never had that error come up. i did a search and all of it was with clockwork mod. try switching recoveries. and wipe dalvik cache and cache and reboot. also do not forget to make a nandroid backup first. and your old clockwork mod nandroids will not work with amon ra.

16. Yeh Im Legit

Yeh Im Legit Member

Ocn you know more than me but just wondering if it may be smarter and safer to run the clockwork get the phone running then switch the recoveries?

17. ocnbrze

well not of it is not wiping cache properly. clockwork mod in my opinion just does not wipe very well and you can run into issues with it. i had tons of issues when i was on clockwork mod and switched to amon ra and most of my issues went away.

18. Yeh Im Legit

Yeh Im Legit Member

Haha... Reading too many threads when I posted this... Was thinking this guy was stuck in boot loop... So yeah no reason to recover... Ill shutup and stay outta your way... :)

19. congaman59

OK I did that now. Put the new recovery on there, and deleted the file. Then I did a wipe of the dalvak and the cache and I'm getting the same results. still won't update the apps on the SD card. Now what?

20. ocnbrze

how are the apps moved to the card? are you using the built in apps2sd? what rom are you on? you can try and flash a gingerbread rom and see if that takes care of your issue. use titanium backup to backup your apps. i would recommend that you try mikg2.5 to start.

21. congaman59

how are the apps moved to the card? I moved them with App 2 SD Pro.
    what rom are you on? I am running the stock rom that came on the phone rooted with unrevokded 3.
    you can try and flash a gingerbread rom and see if that takes care of your issue. use titanium backup to backup your apps. I have titanium back up pro on the phone now.
    i would recommend that you try mikg2.5 to start. There won't be a bunch of things I have to fix once I do this?
    will I need to go back to the factory settings before I do this?

22. ocnbrze

go to the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html, and go to the flashing section it will give you instructions on how to flash a rom.

23. congaman59

I need a little help on the unroot. I wiped the SD card and put superuser su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
    in the root of the SD card. The instructions don't say whether to restart the phone after putting this in the root. Do I restart before I run the executable revolutionary file?

24. ocnbrze

wait you want to unroot? you do not need the su file. go to http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html and go to the unrooting section.

25. congaman59

Ok last night I downloaded My Backup Pro and backed up everything to the cloud, un mounted and formatted the SD card. Then I put that zip file on the root of the sd card after I remounted it.
    So now I guess I need to delete the superuser file off and put the :PC36IMG6.17
    file on the root.

Tags: