• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooted evo 4G not updating apps

OK I have superwipe and the new rom in the root of the phone card. there are a few other file on the card from the regular install of the card and the old clockworkmod files I no longer use.
When I reboot will the phone pickup the superwipe and rom automatically, or do I need to go in to hboot and choose them in sequence?

Upvote 0
OK I have superwipe and the new rom in the root of the phone card. there are a few other file on the card from the regular install of the card and the old clockworkmod files I no longer use.
When I reboot will the phone pickup the superwipe and rom automatically, or do I need to go in to hboot and choose them in sequence?

you need to go into recovery and flash them. follow the: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html under the flashing section.

Upvote 0
Ok now I am runing the Mik rom 2.5.2 with the stock Kernel. I even did another nandroid after I installed the last patch!
Now I need to know how to get my contacts back on the phone from the my backup pro on the cloud. How do I go about getting my apps downloaded again. I synked my google acct , some came from appbrain, and some from amazon app store. I have some ringtones on the backup, I have never attempted this before.

Upvote 0
Ok now I am runing the Mik rom 2.5.2 with the stock Kernel. I even did another nandroid after I installed the last patch!
Now I need to know how to get my contacts back on the phone from the my backup pro on the cloud. How do I go about getting my apps downloaded again. I synked my google acct , some came from appbrain, and some from amazon app store. I have some ringtones on the backup, I have never attempted this before.

i do not use my backup pro but there should be a restore option for your apps and such. if you sync your google account your contacts should be synced to your phone. for me i use titanium backup to backup and restore my apps.

Upvote 0
I accomplished the rom flash and I attempted the recovery with my backup pro. However something is wrong because only some of the apps were put back on the phone and I used part of one GB and the phone is saying the SD card is out of room to move more apps over to the card. I can see on apps to SD pro and the roms storage app that thre are 29.21 GB free. At forst I saw this and went in to recovery and wiped the Dalvick cash and cash and tried again, but no luck there.Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I know this is very late and all.. but if you used an app called App Backup & Restore, and restored your apps at one point, they will not update. I'm not sure why but when I flashed MikG2.5 rom, I ran that app backup&restore, selected the apps I wanted to restore, and it restored them.. but I guess they weren't linked with the market because I had manually looked up 2 apps, one app was outdated so I had to find it in the market and update it.. The second app was a recently updated app. I searched it up in the market, but there were no available updates.

I'm not sure why it dosen't update, but maybe it's because it only backs up .apk files.

Upvote 0
I accomplished the rom flash and I attempted the recovery with my backup pro. However something is wrong because only some of the apps were put back on the phone and I used part of one GB and the phone is saying the SD card is out of room to move more apps over to the card. I can see on apps to SD pro and the roms storage app that thre are 29.21 GB free. At forst I saw this and went in to recovery and wiped the Dalvick cash and cash and tried again, but no luck there.Any suggestions?

If you go to the market, will the phone let you put new apps on the phone?
Just curious. Apps to sd pro is unfamiliar to me, it doesn't try to put things in a partition, does it? Thinking if you did, the partition might be full or something.

backup app I have used that confuses me the least is the free version of appmonster, from the market. You have to do everything manually, but it just works without making your eyes cross. wonder if it would see your apps on there?

Only other thing I could think of to do to start would be to wipe cache and d-cache, and flash the same rom, not your nandroid, and see if it acted any differently when you came back up. Not sure if you would have to go through setup again but you aren't supposed to lose any of your settings and stuff.

Upvote 0
I know this is very late and all.. but if you used an app called App Backup & Restore, and restored your apps at one point, they will not update. I'm not sure why but when I flashed MikG2.5 rom, I ran that app backup&restore, selected the apps I wanted to restore, and it restored them.. but I guess they weren't linked with the market because I had manually looked up 2 apps, one app was outdated so I had to find it in the market and update it.. The second app was a recently updated app. I searched it up in the market, but there were no available updates.

I'm not sure why it dosen't update, but maybe it's because it only backs up .apk files.

Not sure about this either, I know that titanium backup pro has ways to check if apps are linked to market for updating. When I go to the Market though, then click menu and my apps, not everything I dl'd from market is there.

It is a puzzle.

Upvote 0
Well, a wiped card and a new rom and starting fresh would sure be a lot of work.

Partitioning it just adds more to the mix. actually, partioning WOULD wipe it.

If you were planning on trying a rom that supports a2sd, that would all work out in your favor though. especially if you don't have all that many apps you are worried about losing.

What happens if you hook it to your pc in recovery and use usb-ms toggle, and use windows to look at your card, every file and folder, and right click on them and check properties, and see what is using up so much room?

Looks to me like you can go the route of trying to find out what this problem is or go the whole hog route and start over. :thinking:

Then again, someone else might come in here and tell you to swing a dead chicken around your head 3 times on tuesday and that would fix it... :p

Upvote 0
Well, a wiped card and a new rom and starting fresh would sure be a lot of work.

Partitioning it just adds more to the mix. actually, partioning WOULD wipe it.

If you were planning on trying a rom that supports a2sd, that would all work out in your favor though. especially if you don't have all that many apps you are worried about losing.

What happens if you hook it to your pc in recovery and use usb-ms toggle, and use windows to look at your card, every file and folder, and right click on them and check properties, and see what is using up so much room?

Looks to me like you can go the route of trying to find out what this problem is or go the whole hog route and start over. :thinking:

Then again, someone else might come in here and tell you to swing a dead chicken around your head 3 times on tuesday and that would fix it... :p

I already have a new rom and a new new recovery. yes
I'm running mik 2.5 and it does that I think in the application use in settings.

I have my apps backed up on my backup Pro on the cloud
The pc says the card has less than a gb of files on it.

Upvote 0
Too weird, did you try this?

Only other thing I could think of to do to start would be to wipe cache and d-cache, and flash the same rom, not your nandroid, and see if it acted any differently when you came back up. Not sure if you would have to go through setup again but you aren't supposed to lose any of your settings and stuff.

Upvote 0
of so lets figure this thing out. how much internal memory do you have? you have not partitioned you card yet correct? and my backup pro is only letting you restore only a certain amount of apps, correct?

ok so here is some background info that might help. if you have not partitioned you card yet, then the only way to move apps to the card is to use app2sd whih is totally different then a2sd. apps2sd was first introduced in the froyo ota. the gingerbread apps2sd is slightly different but uses the same idea. basically apps2sd only moves part of the app onto the card. the other part still remains in the phone. even titanium backup uses apps2sd to move apps to the card. because the apps are separated, you will not be able to use its widgets if the app has any.

a2sd is different. it creates a symbolic link on the phone that tells the phone where to find the app on the card. you need to have your card partitioned in order to use it. and because only there is only the link on the phone, the entire app is found on the card and thus any widgets associated with the app can be used.

so with that said, you mentioned you sd card. how are you moving the apps to the card?

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
aaaaaa
of so lets figure this thing out. how much internal memory do you have?
there are 29.8gb open on the card

you have not partitioned you card yet correct? and my backup pro is only letting you restore only a certain amount of apps, correct?
I have not partitioned the card.

You know I have not tried this before. It seems that My back up pro is writing all the apps to the phone memory not the SD card. I started moving the apps to the SD card. I had moved a few over and then I started getting the message that there was no more room on the card.

ok so here is some background info that might help. if you have not partitioned you card yet, then the only way to move apps to the card is to use app2sd whih is totally different then a2sd. apps2sd was first introduced in the froyo ota. the gingerbread apps2sd is slightly different but uses the same idea. basically apps2sd only moves part of the app onto the card. the other part still remains in the phone. even titanium backup uses apps2sd to move apps to the card. because the apps are separated, you will not be able to use its widgets if the app has any.

a2sd is different.
Is that the app built in to the rom in the settings menu?

it creates a symbolic link on the phone that tells the phone where to find the app on the card. you need to have your card partitioned in order to use it. and because only there is only the link on the phone, the entire app is found on the card and thus any widgets associated with the app can be used.
Since my card is a class 4 would it be better to leave part of the app on the phone memory?

so with that said, you mentioned you sd card. how are you moving the apps to the card?

At first I tried moving them with the app in the settings\applications\storage use. then it started telling me the card was full. Then I tried Apps 2 SD pro. But I got the same resulth.

Upvote 0

ok, since you have not partitioned your card, that is the reason why you are getting full in your internal memory. you might want to think about partitioning your card. a class 4 card is ok. just keep in mind if you like to play games or have any intensive apps like that then you want a higher speed card. and i do not think that using apps2sd will work in freeing up your internal memory very much.

Upvote 0
ok, since you have not partitioned your card, that is the reason why you are getting full in your internal memory. you might want to think about partitioning your card. a class 4 card is ok. just keep in mind if you like to play games or have any intensive apps like that then you want a higher speed card. and i do not think that using apps2sd will work in freeing up your internal memory very much.

So I need to use the app built in to the rom to move the apps to the card? I find to cumbersome because it doesn't have a "move all" command, and some other features Apps2SD Pro has. Is there a market app that I could get that does this correctly?

So I need to wipe the card, Do I need to wipe any of the apps on the phone memory as well? partition the card(do I partition the card in half?) and then how do I proceed to put the apps back on the card. Should I download the apps on to my computer first? Because I think My backup pro splits the apk form the data (I attached the users guide for mybackup pro). I have no idea how to put the 2 parts back on the phone. Then will the apps that I put back be on phone mem, and then I will have to move them to the card?

I do play some games not a lot and I have a couple of gps driving apps like sygic that has maps you download. How do you know which apps to leave on the phone and which ones to move to the card?

Attachments

• MyBackupUserGuide.pdf
    517.4 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
So I need to use the app built in to the rom to move the apps to the card? I find to cumbersome because it doesn't have a "move all" command, and some other features Apps2SD Pro has. Is there a market app that I could get that does this correctly?

So I need to wipe the card, Do I need to wipe any of the apps on the phone memory as well? partition the card(do I partition the card in half?) and then how do I proceed to put the apps back on the card. Should I download the apps on to my computer first? Because I think My backup pro splits the apk form the data (I attached the users guide for mybackup pro). I have no idea how to put the 2 parts back on the phone. Then will the apps that I put back be on phone mem, and then I will have to move them to the card?

I do play some games not a lot and I have a couple of gps driving apps like sygic that has maps you download. How do you know which apps to leave on the phone and which ones to move to the card?

to partition your card use the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. it has a partitioning section. just follow the directions and you are good to go.

if the rom has cm a2sd (it will usually just say that it has a2sd) then when you restore your apps with mybackup pro, they will be moved automatically. if the roms says that it supports a2sd or darktremors a2sd then you need to flash dt and the use terminal emulator from the market to push the apps to your card.

i do not think that there is a command to move certain apps back to the phone. you can command dt to move any free and paid apps back to the phone's internal memory (not sure why you want to do that).

and as far as your card goes if you do play some games and such then i would suggest that you get a higher speed card. the one in this thread is pretty cheap now:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/413571-sharin-love-16gb-class-10-card-25-a.html. i have this card and i have had zero issues.

Upvote 0
The rom I'm using is the one you suggested mic v2.5. Does it support darktremors a2sd?

This I didn't understand: the use terminal emulator from the market to push the apps to your card.
[/QUOTE]

if the rom supports Dark Tremors it will say it....when your in the roms and kernels thread where the links are to download, if you look on the XDA threads provided also it will say right on the main page if it supports a2sd or if it has DT support or even on some, DT is already baked in...

Upvote 0
The rom I'm using is the one you suggested mic v2.5. Does it support darktremors a2sd?

This I didn't understand: the use terminal emulator from the market to push the apps to your card.

do I need to erase the apps on the card now before I partition?

If you want anything on the card, you need to copy and paste or otherwise save to your pc BEFORE partitioning, because it WILL wipe your card when you do it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones