1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted Evo 4G running stock 2.2 -- worried about security

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dnoyes, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dnoyes

dnoyes Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi everyone. I rooted my Evo 4G (running 2.2) about 2 months before the 2.3 OTA came out. I used unr3vok3d forever, and did NOT flash a new rom.

I'm still running 2.2, but have S-OFF and have the latest clockwork mod recovery.

I would like 2.3 (or better), but am more concerned about a potential security threat I read all HTC phones have as of October.

Since I can't accept the OTA, and I'm new to diving into the mountain of posts on here about rooting/unrooting... would anyone have any advice/suggestions?

My main concern is security. I'm okay learning/installing hotness as I go. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Howdy, welcome to the forums!

Some of the roms already seem to have the HTC thing removed, I am thinking that is the security issue, I understand.

First off, check out this thread, http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html starting with the Life after Root part.

Prob need to change your recovery, make a nandroid backup, then on to flashing roms and kernels and stuff.

When you get to the roms and kernels page, you read the developers pages and see which ones have it removed. I am thinking that the Mik 2.5x roms have it removed already, as well as the Tommy Tomatoe Classic sense 1.0 does as well. Prob a lot do, have to read.

Ask all the questions you need!

ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  3. dnoyes

dnoyes Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks dustwun77.

I've got the "I'm an intelligent guy, but MAN there's so much info... I may never get this!" feeling. I'm sure most have had that at one point. :)

It sounds like I need to not get jumpy, and to take time doing some reading.

I came close to doing the "Eh... maybe I'll okay accepting the OTA. I bet I'll be fine" thing.

I'll start with the dummies guide and take it from there. I know I'll have lots of questions. But glad to see this is an active/supportive community!

dustwun77 likes this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    As dustwun said welcome :)

Your possibility's are endless. First I would consider getting rid of Clockwork and going with Amon RA. But that is up to you. Most of us swear by Amon Ra. Second I believe most of the latest roms have already taken the security issue that your concerned with out of their roms. AOSP don't have them. Flashing is definitely your best bet. Most people who seem to like the sense roms go with mikg's latest. I like AOSP roms myself. But again go to the rooting page dustwun mentions.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    We are here to answer your questions. And never ever ever and again never never never ever accept an OTA being rooted.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. dustwun77

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    You are definitely welcome!

There is a lot of info, don't feel like the lone ranger. :)

Read that stuff over a few times and then just start out doing it step by step. After a while, it will be second nature... soon after that, you will be a flashaholic! :eek:

Welcome to the club!

argedion and ocnbrze like this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

most of the roms now are updated and have the security risk eliminated now. so i would not worry about that issue anymore. someone was able to root the latest security update that is being pushed out now. here is the main thread. [ROM][STOCK][10/25/11] 4.54.651.1 (w/ security ota)(rooted & non-rooted) - xda-developers. i would flash the odexed version. or you can try mikg2.58 a much better rom that has sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 built in. you can get it in the rom/kernel sticky.

dustwun77 likes this.
  8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    The best advice I can give you at this point is to read. Take your time. You want to make sure you understand what you are wanting and going to be doing. Also reading can prevent a lot of errors which can lead to hair loss. Or so I have been told (frogs don't have hair :) You don't want to brick your phone so feel free to ask any question. The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

WARNING WARNING WARNING
    Flashaholicism is a very real disease. Flashaholics have been know to change their ROMS 2 or 3 times a day. Flashing can have a strain on your family life. Kids get ignored. Wife complains "Your on that thing again" Is normal for the flashaholic. Outsiders cannot understand the complexities and the commitment it takes to be a flashaholic. Live Strong Flash Away and Remember your not Alone. :D

frenchy714, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  9. ForbodingAngel

None

Aug 24, 2011
    Flashaholism is very real. After flashing mikg on my phone, my father's phone, and then flashing cyanogenmod on my brother and sister in law's phones, I forced myself to stop :)

It's very hard to to flash every rom in sight. I simply console myself with how long it takes to make a nandroid backup haha ;p

ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  10. dnoyes

dnoyes Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so quickly! Good to know peeps are here to help.

I'll be giving a lot of the reading a go this weekend. The high level concepts seems straightforward:
    • put thing on sd card
    • boot into recovery
    • flash thing
    • profit!

What I'm worried about (for now) is making sure I have correct versions of radios and wifi. (I've read horror stories about this). The whole fear of the unknown thing :)

Seems like patience and not-freaking-out is key.

ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  11. dustwun77

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    You have the concept!

Add to that

1: HAVE Amon Ra recovery
    2: Make nandroid backups before making changes
    3: Wipe the right things for operation you are trying to perform

You don't really have to mess with your radios, and if you do, have a backup of your wimax keys and follow the directions. I changed mine, didn't do a thing for me. YMMV of course.

And yes, patience. When you flash something you need to let it do it's thing and then have some time to get itself settled down.

It is good clean fun! :)

12. dnoyes

dnoyes Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeesh.. and now I'm reading about the Carrier IQ debacle. I have an HTC device AND I'm on Sprint. Yeah.. time to start flashin' (ROMs and kernels) ;)

Rxpert83 and dustwun77 like this.
  13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Yep, makes me glad I have the ability to choose what goes on my phone

Tags: