• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted EVO App removal question

My EVO is rooted and I have been searching for an updated list of apps that are safe to remove but havent been able to find anything recent. Those that I have found contradict each other as to which apps are safe to remove. I would like to remove the following apps: BluetoothShare, CarPanel, FM Radio, FootPrints, News, Peep, RSS Reader, Stocks, and Weather. If anyone has removed these without any ill effects I would like to know. Thankyou in advance.

I strongly suggest you just rename them to .bak or something like that using Root Explorer, instead of deleting them (or just move them to a folder on your SD card). If you ever decide to OTA, you'll have trouble if those apps are missing.

I second this.

It 'delayed' me from upgrading to the new OTA because I deleted a handful of apps that the update was looking for. Luckily I had a backup.

If you want to free up the space, you can move the .apk files out of your system/app directory into a backup directory on your SD card 'JUST IN CASE'.

It would be nice if Titanium Backup allows system files to be actually be backed up instead of just the data, but Alas.

Upvote 0
I strongly suggest you just rename them to .bak or something like that using Root Explorer, instead of deleting them (or just move them to a folder on your SD card). If you ever decide to OTA, you'll have trouble if those apps are missing.

I wish I would have know that, because I did just delete some of them.

I did do a nand backup of the OEM ROM though. Just a lil more work I guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones