1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted Evo Lagging-SetCPU Q's

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdizzle5039, May 30, 2011.

1. cdizzle5039

cdizzle5039 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    I have searched through the forums and haven't quite found the right info I'm looking for. I've even searched some of the other websites, but the people who respond in the forums of other pages had a tendancy of being really rude sometimes, so I figured this was the right place to find my answer.

I was wondering if someone could help me find a thread to help me figure out my my phone is lagging.
    I just rooted my HTC Evo 4G yesterday after months of being scared to do it. I haven't flashed any custom ROMS or kernels yet, but I am already seeing a lot of benefits of rooting my phone.

I downloaded the SetCPU app in order to help with speed when I'm using the phone and battery conservation when I'm not.
    I thought I had found a site that was going to help me understand the app better and I set my profiles based off of what I've learned.
    I have higher priority for when my battery is below 45 percent and also for when the screen is off. Both of those profiles have lowered min/max settings.
    I have slightly lower priorities when my phone is charging and the min/max is higher. The forums I was reading in didn't discuss scaling, so the profiles are all set to performance.
    My phone is now lagging more than before I downloaded the app.

What I would like is for my phone to run slower and conserve battery life when the battery is low or not being used at all, and I would like my phone to perform faster when it's on the charger and in general when I'm using it.

Help?

Advertisement

2. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC

Switch scaling to on demand. Performance always uses the highest frequency, probably killing your battery..?

Typically use a 245-245 screen off. Less profiles the better. Set the main like 245 min and 768-998 max.

If you want to increase performance while gaming you can set it to performance and up to 1152-1190. There are threads here discussing setcpu in detail. Pretty sure we even have a sticky. I'm on my phone our would go more in depth...

Wait you are on stock kernel, you can't clock over 998 and you can only under clock if you have disabled perflock in setcpu. Did you do this?

tube517 and cdizzle5039 like this.
  3. takirb

takirb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Systems Analyst/Network Admin
    S. Carolina
    For the lagging, have you tried rebooting into recovery and wiping dalvik/cache? Also, don't undervolt less than 245MHz. I did that to mine once and it caused alot of issues turning the screen back on for incoming calls or usage.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have my SetCPU profiles set as:

Main
    1036/245 conservative

Temp > 50C
    499/245 priority 100 ondemand

Charging
    1152/245 priority 98 interactive

Screen Off
    245/245 priority 95 ondemand

Battery < 25%
    460/245 priority 60 ondemand

Battery < 40%
    998/245 priority 54 ondemand

Battery < 100%
    1036/245 conservative

Main things I wanted was low power when not in use (screen off), performance when on a charger, and low power if the battery heats up (temp>50). This setup works for my phone pretty well, i can get at least 12hrs easily with moderate usage on most days anyways...

cdizzle5039 likes this.
  4. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

Couple questions... why priority for charging over screen off? Also why battery less than 100 when you have main the same? Seems you could nix that profile without changing anything...

5. cdizzle5039

cdizzle5039 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    Yes, I did the perflock. Just to clarify what you're saying, in order to overclock (increase performance?) I would need a custom kernel, and as of right now as long as I disabled the perflock I can underclock (save battery?) with my stock kernel?

6. takirb

takirb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Systems Analyst/Network Admin
    S. Carolina
    Honestly I found this early last year in the early rooting days and stuck with it lol charging over screenoff in case I'm using wireless tether or streaming music and the screen shuts off, in case the underclocking affects it (this was also before I had keepscreen installed). Battery and main used to be different, but I've had some performance issues since switching to cm7 the other week so I'm trying to see if overclocking is a cuplrit.

7. cdizzle5039

cdizzle5039 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    I see that you had quoted him when asking your question...but I thought I'd explain my thought process too...maybe my logic isn't allowing me to use the app properly. I wanted more priority and performance while my phone was charging-since wasting battery isn't a concern at that point and then I thought I would have less performance when the screen was off since I'm not technically using it at that point?
    I'm still figuring this all out, so maybe my thoughts don't make sense.
    I've been completely overloaded with all this new info I've taken in during the previous months about rooting and whatnot...
    I think it's all just mushing into one big disorganized mess in my head.

8. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

Missed a post...

9. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI

Yes, you need a custom kernel to overclock, and as long as you disabled perflock you can underclock to save battery.

Tags: