1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Rooted Fryo update question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Train13, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Train13

Train13 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    PA
    Onee the " official" fryo comes out will I have to flash to stock then update or can I just apply the update to my rooted phone?

Advertisement

2. dglowen23

Feb 24, 2010
    Spokane Wa
    u will most likely have to flash back to stock if u want the ota update but if u want to just wait for a stable rom u can apply it then, but by the time they make a stable froyo rom that everything works on the ota update will have gotten to everyone

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    My understanding is that if you're running the stock ROM (regardless of root/non-root) you'll be able to receive the OTA update. It's when running a custom ROM that you lose the ability to get OTA updates. You will lose root, however, when updating.

4. Big Dog KMc

Big Dog KMc Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    San Diego,CA

Plus.. If you are using a home replacement like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher and the like you will not get the OTA UP-Date. Must be in Stock TW Launcher. Went through all of this with the Behold 2 OTA 1.6.

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Whoa...that's a new one on me. So if you simply switch back to the original launcher when it's update time you'll be okay?

6. rwinterpacht

rwinterpacht New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a little surprised that the home screen would have anything to do with this...however, after downloading Kies and trying to get that to work, I came across a post that indicates you need to be on the Stock home app to connect...which sure enough, made Kies work.

Kies is a little bloated, but I like that you can convert videos to make them viewable on your device (although I haven't tried.)

I also haven't tried the update, but it's been pulled from Samsung site anyway.

My phone is rooted with Stock rom...patiently waiting for OTA update...

7. lordmalice

lordmalice Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    mechanic
    powell
    how does samsung kies even work what is it and y cant i get it to work on my com