• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rooted] Help tethering please for semi-noob! Don't know what to do :(

ShannyATL

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
Hello all! I tried my hardest all day yesterday to resolve this myself to no avail :(. I searched many posts and forums to try to learn and overcome this but things have just gotten more convoluted (to me) as things go on, just one obstacle after another.

Forgive me but this may seem like a mish-mash of information but I will give it a go:

I am stuck in a hotel for months and hotel wifi slows and drops constantly. Trying to tether my HTC One (m7) Lollipop which is rooted (superuser and SuperSU verified). I have an unlimited data plan with MetroPCS which uses T-Mobile's network, but there plan has a separate HotSpot feature which won't be unlimited if I pay for it because I don't have a MetroPCS phone, they make me downgrade my plan to qualify for the HotSpot service :rolleyes:.

I downloaded several apps yesterday such as Wi-fi Router, FoxFi, Potable wi-fi, PDAnet (phone and desktop) and a few others.

A few things to note: Everytime I try to turn on my HotSpot in my network sharing it says "Please wait while we verify your account" THEN after awhile this will go away and the phone just says "Turning hotspot on..." and it never does! Weird thing is I did see my phone pop up on my PC ONE TIME, logged in with my password, but of course could not get my phone to send internet to my PC (yes I have my desktop in the room LOL).

That's as far as I have gotten. I do know this......I heard for MetroPCS not to detect me I will need to hide my tether. Another thing: If I buy Wifi Tether Router app, will it help me overcome this? Or is it something else? I still cannot get my phone network visible on my pc after a million more tries. Still just says "turning hotspot on" and never does after hours of waiting.

I hope this all makes sense, and please be gentle, as I may have to be walked by hand through this! :D :D

Thanks a million,

ShannyATL

As an addendum to above, I guess one of the ultimate questions for me is, will any app or procedure bypass any way my carrier may be blocking my phone from turning on the hotspot feature, if indeed that is the case? Is that even possible for them to block me from doing this or is it an internal thing inside my phone?

My humble thanks to anyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones