• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rooted hero vs. evo

You also have to weigh whether or not you want to pay the extra $10 a month for the 4G mobile data. For me it is not worth it because 3G mobile data is more than adequate for my needs and can be supplemented by using Wi-Fi if I need more speed in a pinch.

I, personally, am happy with my Sprint HTC Hero. I will probably root it eventually, though right now I am on the fence about that.

Upvote 0
I pretty much wanted to give my hero the sledge hammer treatment right after doing the 2.1 update, and finally decided to root last week and flash CM6. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no reason to update as of now. it runs so much faster than stock now and lag is a thing of the past. For me, the extra 120 a year just isnt worth it to me at all.

Reactions: victrola
Upvote 0
I echo the sentiments of Kelmar and others on here. I got my Hero last October, and I am still loving it. I rooted it back in February (I believe), so I have always had the latest android versions before any Sprint release. I have been running Froyo for a few weks and my Hero is plenty fast now. The ONLY thing I miss is the SenseUI. I really like it. However, there's enough widgets out there that allow me to approximate the look of Sense. Not the best scenario, but given how fast Froyo makes the phone it is an acceptable trade off. Most of all, I love the form factor of the Hero. In my opinion, it is an ideal size for a mobile phone. Not too big for a phone, but the screen is large enough to comfortably see your information.

On the other hand, the EVO is an impressive device. As others have stated, the biggest drawback is the sheer size of it. While I like the screen size itself, the phone is just too big. The more I play with it the more comfortable I get. I may eventually get it, but not right away. My wife loves the size though, and plans to get it next month when we are eligible for an upgrade. She loves the big screen, and since the carries her phone in her purse, the size isn't an issue for her.

I'm actually keeping an eye on linux/android pads. If I'm going to get a device as big as the EVO, I may as well go the tablet route and get an even bigger screen. A few companies have announced 7" pads. At first I thought that would be too small, but I saw a youtube demo of the Samsung GalaxyPad and it looks very interesting.

Upvote 0
Forget about the Evo and get an Epic!

Naaa....... To me, the Epic is just a bigger/faster Moment. I don't care for physical keyboards and the bulk they add. If I WERE to upgrade my Hero, it would be the EVO (unless something better comes along). Of course, if you like a physical keyboard then the Epic would be the way to go.

Upvote 0
I just got an offer to buy a friend of mine's EVO for $160...I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on it.

I have had a lot of problems with my HERO up until this past weekend when I brought it to Sprint and had them update the software. (Rather them do it, then me messing it up!)

HERO is running a lot better, but I really like the the speed of the EVO and I have 4G coverage in Houston.

If I do end up getting it, I will throw the HERO up on eBay to help offset the cost of the EVO.

Upvote 0
I haven't taken the time the root my phone and I've had it since March of this year. I used to not complain about it at the beggining because it worked fine, but now, all of the sudden, it just go laggy.... and that's getting old and annoying... I'm ready to get a new phone, I just don't want the Evo because it's too big nor do I want the Galaxy because I don't like phones with Qwerty keyboards. I can't wait til Sprint gets a new touch-only Android phone, hopefully from HTC, even thought it won't prolly happen until next year! =/

Upvote 0
I rooted my Hero recently and installed Cyanogen 6 (Froyo 2.2). It is like having a whole new phone. It is now significantly faster doing everything, and there is no phone lag or typing lag at all.

I was going to get the EVO as soon as I was eligible in November, but now I am not so sure. I think I may wait until a HTC or Sanyo model is released with a multi-core processor. Plus I really like the size of the Hero.

Upvote 0
Now you have to change your username to Epictech. :)
I think I'd need a mod to help me out:)
I rooted my Hero recently and installed Cyanogen 6 (Froyo 2.2). It is like having a whole new phone. It is now significantly faster doing everything, and there is no phone lag or typing lag at all.

I was going to get the EVO as soon as I was eligible in November, but now I am not so sure. I think I may wait until a HTC or Sanyo model is released with a multi-core processor. Plus I really like the size of the Hero.
I ahd the same set up on my phone, I still didn't like the key board. Swype is freaking awesome though.

Upvote 0

Literally took the thought out of my head

Upvote 0
Honestly, I can't say how much I love my Evo compared to my Hero. I got it because, for the most part, all the lag in the Hero was pissing me off. However, that was indeed before CM6 was available. I have to say though... the Evo is just like the Hero in one aspect... you literally have to root it to get it to work right. I swear, its like HTC spends their time TRYING to **** their phones up before they're released. I mean... yea, I could've believed the whole speil they put out about how our phone (Evo) was locked to 30fps because of the hdmi port.... if I didn't know about the Droid X. Tell you this much... if it was so impossible to fix... why am I sitting here blasting through this rant on my Evo with no framerate lockout or tracking issues?

Why did the dialer lag on 2.1 but not 1.5 with the Hero, yet a rooted phone running CM6 has no lag, and its got froyo? Telling you guys... I think they're paid to make sure their stuff sucks more ass than an upcoming pop star... *apple running everything theories here*

Upvote 0
I wouldn't upgrade from the Hero to Evo. Not worth it.

ARM/Qualcomm/Samsung all have their own multicore processors ready to be released to manufacturers after the first of the year for testing.

The upgrade from the Hero to the Evo will be so minuscule compared to the upgrade from a Hero to some Quad-core beast-of-a-phone this time next year.

I'm keeping my Hero until then.

Plus, I very much dislike the lack of a clickable track-ball/track-pad on the Evo. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones