• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rooted] Issues since JB Update

Ilya

Android Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010
Albany, NY
So, I was running CM10 on my phone but I love HTC Sense for whatever reason so as soon as the update hit...I unrooted, went back to stock, then updated , rooted again and reset up my phone how I like it.

1) On ICS (non-rooted), I typically had 250MB or so of free memory at any given time. On CM10 JB or MeanROM ICS, I had about 350MB. On stock JB and rooted, it's like 140MB. Is this normal or do I need to find out what program is eating up resources. I have Titanium Backup, so I froze some apps that I know I will never use and that aren't required by the system (like Sound Hound, Sprint Zone, etc.) and that didn't help. I just feel like this is going to chew up my battery.

2) Charge Only? Where the hell did that go? Every time I plug my phone in to charge (at work my cable is connected to my PC) it goes to HTC Sync. I can change it to USB drive. How do I change it so it's charge only? Hate getting that prompt on my PC.

3) How do I get rid of the USB File Sharing notification? This is kind of related to #2. When I click on it, it goes to the Hot Spot options screen, which I do not use.

That's it for now.

Free ram is wasted ram. So far multitasking is way better than on ics. And that seems to be where the extra ram is, keeping apps open. Keeping apps open in the background wont hurt your battery, it just keeps them paused(unless it was working but itll pause when its done) killing apps all the time is what hurts battery, just let android do its thing

just seems like htc got too many complaints on getting to the on board storage (media sync) so they turned it on for good lol

Not sure, maybe you can disable notifications for it in all app settings, i haven't looked yet

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Free ram is wasted ram. So far multitasking is way better than on ics. And that seems to be where the extra ram is, keeping apps open. Keeping apps open in the background wont hurt your battery, it just keeps them paused(unless it was working but itll pause when its done) killing apps all the time is what hurts battery, just let android do its thing

just seems like htc got too many complaints on getting to the on board storage (media sync) so they turned it on for good lol

Not sure, maybe you can disable notifications for it in all app settings, i haven't looked yet

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

I can understand the RAM thing, however I need to figure this USB thing out cause that's just ridiculous. It's annoying lol.

Upvote 0
I can understand the RAM thing, however I need to figure this USB thing out cause that's just ridiculous. It's annoying lol.

I'm right there with you...Removing the connection options, and the very nice looking charge screen is pretty ridiculous. It's even more annoying if you unplug without unmounting it in windows when you get hassled by a non-existent error the next time you connect!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones