• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted my Commando

First root ever on a phone for me. No custom ROM's or anything fancy yet. Just wanted to get the Crapware off.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 519
I tried to install the super one click and it had a virus in it...

I'm pretty sure that the super one click for XDA developers is not a virus. keep in mind that it is a program to hack your phone so it probably sets off red flags for security software........Im not super tech savvy or anything like that but I had the same thing happen and my computer is virus free.

Upvote 0
**NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGE OCCURRED BY THIS**

Downloaded Superone Click Root. Turn on debug, unseat your SD card and run the Oneclick. That easy. Download Titanium Backup, back the crapware up and then uninstall it.

hmmm
simple but it doesn't seem to be so...
all I get is "waiting for device"
do I need to download drivers for this device?
if so where?-->cant seem to find them anywhere.

tx

j

Upvote 0
Hello, all

Rooted my phone like a week ago and everything is working fine. Unfortunately I think I accedentally deleted a system app with out backing it up because I am no longer able to select system update option from the about phone menu. Can anyone help me with this? Is there anyway someone could send me a folder with all of the apps that originally came with the phone?

Sorry for being so nooby first android phone not really sure what I'm doing

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. Just got first Android (Commando) about a month ago. Been reading pretty heavily on pro's/con's of root. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, everyone's talking about super one-click... What about Z4 or the other simple one-click roots? Are there advantages/disadvantages one way or the other? I know... I'm being really nooby, but I want to do my homework before I do this.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. Just got first Android (Commando) about a month ago. Been reading pretty heavily on pro's/con's of root.

What rooting will allow you to do is remove any carrier apps that are on the phone that you will never use. For example, I removed all the vcast stuff and vzw navigation. I'll never use any of this stuff and there is no reason to take up memory on the phone with them. Another thing rooting will allow you to do is download an app from the market called adfree. This app is very effective in blocking those annoying pop-up ads that free ad supported apps have. The third thing rooting will allow you to do is install an app that enables wi-fi tethering. This will violate vzw's terms of service if they figure out you are doing it. There is a great deal of discussion about this all over the internet and it is not the topic of this thread. If at some point a developer develops a custom ROM for the commando you will have to be rooted to apply a ROM.

Rooting will void the warrenty of your phone but it is reversable in some cases.

Ultimately its your decision...

Reactions: bigdanmeys13
Upvote 0
Rooting will void the warrenty of your phone but it is reversable in some cases.

Ultimately its your decision...

Curious.....

I would like to root my commando, but I'd also like to reverse that in case I need something from verizon. Anybody reversed their root of their commando???

I also hear that freezing your bloatware is better than uninstalling it, in case you need to reverse your root.

Boots

Upvote 0
Can u expand on that a bit? How do u rename them? Does that have advantages over freezing?

You'll need a file manager like ES File Manager, Super Manager or Astro. Navigate to the system/apps folder and find the apps you'd like to remove and either delete or rename them.

From what I understand freezing doesn't remove the app from memory and renaming or deleting does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones