1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted my Droid, Now what?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yonnor, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    So I rooted my Droid around 2 weeks ago, and love it so far. I've flashed the new Project Elite Gingerbread Rom, the RaidZero Recovery, and RZ Kernel. I love the new level of access I have with my phone now. I'm just kinda lost as to where to go next. So I'm asking you all:

• What I should look into next?
    • Good Root only apps?
    • Good GB Kernels?
    Thank you for any advice or help that you can offer.

Advertisement

2. RaFF_MyZZteR

RaFF_MyZZteR Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    For me, the biggest selling point for rooting was tethering. Wireless tether is an awesome app (might be built into the ROM you're using right now...not familiar with it). I know Peter Alfonso (Peter Alfonso) has been working on some GB kernels but I haven't tried it yet to give you any input on it.

Yonnor likes this.
  3. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Yeah I recently downloaded a Wireless Tethering App and its pretty awesome. I'm currently running Project Elite v5 GB Rom, and it comes with Raidzero Kernels pre-installed, but was curious if there were any better ones to use.

4. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    If I may quote Ozzy's character "The Guardian of Metal" from 'Brutal Legend',

"GO FKING CRAZY!!!"

What you do now is truly make this YOUR phone. Customize it as you see fit, flash diff themes, OC the beast when you're using it, UC (underclock) when the screen is off to conserve battery, find ROMs that have what you're looking for, and cause general mayhem.

When it comes to ROMs and kernels, not every Droid is going to get the same results as the previous one. This means you're going to have to try em all and see what works best for you on your Droid. There's certainly plenty to choose from. To be honest, I've kinda been sticking with the kernels that have been built into the ROMs, as for one, I've gotten lazy, and two, most of those kernels are optimized for those ROMs. But again, that doesn't mean that your Droid will cooperate with one or the other.

Many ROMs now have settings implemented into the ROMs themselves that allow for you to DL new kernels. You can also find them in ROM Manager. There's plenty around and I've yet to see a list of Gingerbread kernels, but I do believe the Froyo kernels will work as well. Here's a list that was complied for Froyo: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/98988-froyo-kernels.html

Yonnor likes this.
  5. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    You can always try different kernels but you probably will not do any better than the stock kernel with this rom. It is smooth, fast, runs cool. Not much to improve upon.

You can always go to Project Elites site and try a couple of the themes or try other roms but for me right now the PE 5.2 is runnning better than anything I have tried (with the stock rom, and I tried a number of others).

Yonnor likes this.
  6. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Yeah PEv5.2 is running amazing for me. I'm loving my Droid right now, and will probably hold off on my upgrade next month as nothing looks to be topping my phone atm. I'm thinking about flashing the Blacked Out theme as well.