• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooted my Hero- few questions about sprint bloatware

ndp506

Dec 19, 2009
so i rooted and flashed with fresh 1.1 and it's gotten amazingly fast!! my question is how do i remove the stock message app that sprint put on there? i have chompSMS as my txt app.. i took a look at the pre-kitchen, but i use a mac so wanted to see if there are any other alternatives...

also, i'm a noob, please be nice, i searched on the forums and couldn't find anything... any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance everyone!

This is the one I followed. I have vista on my computer. This worked 100% without any problem what so ever. I also flashed Fresh Rom and that went through with no issues either. I am now loading themes on the Fresh Kitchen.

[GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows) - xda-developers

I also want to know what is safe to remove and what must be kept. I want to get rid of some things like footprints and some other irritating start up apps

Upvote 0
This is the one I followed. I have vista on my computer. This worked 100% without any problem what so ever. I also flashed Fresh Rom and that went through with no issues either. I am now loading themes on the Fresh Kitchen.

[GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows) - xda-developers

I also want to know what is safe to remove and what must be kept. I want to get rid of some things like footprints and some other irritating start up apps

APPS that are SAFE to remove - xda-developers

Upvote 0
So, again other than removing the Sprint apps you don't want, any other advantages to installing Fresh ROM or any other ROM? Or is it better to just wait for 2.1 support this year?

every rom has a log on what is dif from their rom to the stock one its up to you if you want to flash them or wait for sprint. as far as 2.1 support i know that when the mr update was released there was a rom out implementing the update out within an hour or so of the updates release

Upvote 0
I'm on the verge of rooting my Sprint HTC Hero as well. Is it worth it even if it's using the 1.5 firmware? What benefits has it given you? Does it replace the Sense UI? What guide/steps did you follow?

I went to TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! and follow the steps on there, not the 1 step root, but using asroot and using the command prompt to root... I forgot to mention, I have parallels on my macbook and run windows XP... the big issue with pre-kitchen is for some reason the htc sync program will install fine but when i try to run it, it gives me an error saying the application couldn't launch and reinstalling could fix the issue, but after 5 re-installs, nothing has changed...

Upvote 0
I'm on the verge of rooting my Sprint HTC Hero as well. Is it worth it even if it's using the 1.5 firmware? What benefits has it given you? Does it replace the Sense UI? What guide/steps did you follow?
go to the link in my sig there is a kitchen download that will root your phone with a few clicks so far the fastest and easiest way to root and customize your phone

Upvote 0
Newbie question, when the official 2.1 upgrade arrives, is there an easy way to revert to the stock ROM and get that?

Also, how easy is it to update ROMs? Or do I just load a new one and that's it? Will I lose all my apps?

When 2.1 comes you could ggo back to stock to get the update, check xda for the latest RUU file that will take it back to stock, but if you are rooted then not too long after the release of 2.1 im sure someone will have a ROM of 2.1 that you could flash and be in business. There's really not a need to go back to stock unless you just feel you want to.

And nope, you shouldn't lose your apps if you are using app2sd, but if they are stored on your phone, I don't think you will lose them but im not 100% sure. The market may store your info so those dowloaded apps should still show up in the new software.

Upvote 0
I am really thinking about rooting, but Fresh ROM doesn't provide even 1.6 so it would be stock without bloatware and slight performance boost...don't know.

UNTILE HTC releases the kernal source codes the only STABLE ROMS will be based in 1.5 once the devopers get ahold of that source code we will be able to ave 1.5 1.6 2.0 2.01 and 2.1 versions of android

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones