1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooted my Pixel 3a, now I want to install android again - is that possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by monkeyman15, Dec 28, 2020.

1. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

Hi all, new to the forum! I picked up a Google Pixel 3a and rooted it to install linux.... long story now I want to go back to android and I can't figure out how. I can get to the bootloader is unlocked screen but the android flash tool won't recognize the device. Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Did you make a recovery?

3. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

I did not, I was not intending to go back to android on this phone as I was going to run Linux on it - however my phone carrier can't activate a phone with Linux on it.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

codesplice and Dannydet like this.
  5. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

I tried to flash the image back onto the phone but the android flash tool will not recognize the phone... I assume this is because it doesn't have android on it currently?

6. ocnbrze

possibly. make sure your drivers are current on your pc, try different cables, and maybe a different computer.

Dannydet likes this.
  7. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

Well I just installed the drivers and I am using the same cable and computer that I used when I successfully flashed this same phone to a different version of android before I installed the linux earlier this month. So I assume it must be not recognizing the phone because android is not on it anymore. It does not seem there is any easy way to get it back on the phone once it is off.

8. ocnbrze

this is very much a possibility
    curious....how did you get linux running on the phone? do you have a link?

9. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

I used this https://ubuntu-touch.io/get-ubuntu-touch

So do you think there is any hope for my phone? I did something to it tonight (not sure what) so now it won't even boot up Linux. I can still get it to the bootloader screen and then it will go to the google screen... But then it won't boot from there.

10. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Factory images should work. Perhaps it might be easier to just flash an android custom rom first. If you can fastboot boot twrp recovery you should be able to flash a rom. Then if desired, maybe try and go back to the stock image from there.

codesplice, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  11. monkeyman15

monkeyman15 Lurker

I'm not sure if I can fastboot on it. I will have to try it later and report back... Here is to hoping it works!

ocnbrze likes this.

Google Pixel 3A Forum

The Google Pixel 3A release date was May 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch or 5.6" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 670 processor, and 3700mAh or 3000mAh battery.

May 2019
Release Date
Reviews