1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted N1 vs. Rooted Incredible

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MushroomStamp, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MushroomStamp

MushroomStamp Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Direcotor
    Colorado Springs
    I'm a VZW subscriber. I currently use a Storm 2 (HATE IT). I have been waiting... and waiting for the N1. I have a friend that works in the higher ups of VZW (not retail). I was just giving him shit the other day about the N1 situation. He said, "you should just get the Incredible it has slight better specs and the optical mouse.". I then told him my dislike for Sense UI. He said, "well then just root it"...

So that got me thinking.

Would there be any difference between a rooted N1 and a rooted Incredible? Wouldn't they then have the exact same OS?? (Provided I was going to flash it with Cyanogen). Thusly I would have the same phone with better specs, if I got the Inc over the N1. Is this flawed thinking?

Since the N1 is Googles phone and gets updates first. When you root and flash with a diff ROM, do you then not get updates? I'm guessing you would be reliant on the updates to that ROM which ever MOD you choose.

I am new to rooting so don't fully understand consequences, but does this sound logical to you guys/gals???

Oh.. I would lose the ability for the pretty colored ball if I went for the Inc, and I really like a flashy ball :)

Advertisement

2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Android Expert
    None

Feb 2, 2010
    Male
    ELP Engineer @ National Instruments
    Austin, TX
    no they'd be close but you would need to use a ROM made specifically for the incredible, and if you don't like sense UI i always thought you could just use "normal home" or whatever, my friends hero does this he can switch between sense and normal

3. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Force close Sense and let launcher be the default home. Simples.

4. MushroomStamp

MushroomStamp Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Direcotor
    Colorado Springs
    but if you root, do you still get updates? If the Inc is really underclocked to 768mhz as rumored... this makes it a no brainer for me, unless software can reinstate back to 1ghz

5. andrew53517

andrew53517 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    If you root it, (which will take time to find a hack but it'll probably happen), They will definitely be able to overclock it to 1Ghz since it's a snapdragon processor that is supposed to run at 1Ghz but they down clocked it for they're dumb reason... :rolleyes:

6. grainysand

grainysand Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    If you root and stay with the stock ROM, yes, you'll get official updates when they show up. If you root and flash a custom ROM, bye-bye official updates.

7. SnotF

SnotF Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    Boston Baby!
    Not all roms disable autoupdates, fyi. However it is preferable to do so because an update could unintentionally mess with one of the roms custom settings/ features.

8. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    well if you've rooted and installed a custom ROM, you probably wouldn't want the OTA update, since you'd essentially be going back to a stock ROM, not to mention you'd most likely have the feature of the next OTA ROM already on your device if you're staying current with the custom ROM releases... :D

9. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

It's probably a battery life issue.

10. andrew53517

andrew53517 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Probably, but I hate when they do that.. My Droid ran at 550 Mhz (stock) got 15 - 16 hours maybe. And now I run it consistently at 600 with a max of 1.2Ghz, and get battery life of 14 hours. They always do that to push out the extra hour. Just give people what they want...SPEEEEDDDDDDD!

Tags: