• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rooted] NEW 4g/3g issues Sprint

Crodley

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Hi folks,

I've had my Sprint HTC One Max for over a year now living in the Flint, Michigan area. Best phone I've ever owned, hands down.

Up until last fall, my 4G speeds were pretty good. In fact at home, faster then my Charter WIFI! Then when Spark was being enabled in my area, the 4G speeds dropped, but even worse, the signal keeps switching from 4G to 3G every 5-10 seconds. (causing no connection at all when it's switching) Even when both seem to have a strong signal.

I thought it was Sprint having a hard time getting Spark to go smoothly in my area, so I switched to 3G only and gave it some time for Sprint to iron out any bugs. Then last fall I had a bad day of a bootloop that my root seemed to cause. After 5-6 hours of bootlooping I actually got control and quickly did a factory reset. My root seemed to remain in tact, but my superuser was broken. My phone was working with stock, the battery was lasting FOREVER, and the 4G and 3G problems were the same. I was going to try to fix it, and was wondering if my root problems were connected to the 4G problems, but family life intervened and I had to do others things until this weekend.

I restored my superuser, loaded a ROM (ViperMax 2.0) and all seemed fine again...except I still have the same 4G, 3G problems. So it seems not related to my root issues of the past.

It also doesn't seem related to my tower(s) since the problem persists here at home and at work 20 miles away.

If anyone is still alive in this forum (smile) can anyone help me?

/tldr
My phone keeps switching from 4G to 3G and back every tens seconds no matter how strong the signals are.

Hi EarlyMon!

Long time. :D

I tried what you suggested, and nothing changed. I did a screen cap of what it does and made a youtube vid, here's the link

This just goes back and forth without any need to touch the phone at all.

Thanks for the quick reply...I'm going to bed finally. :rolleyes:

Dial ##72786# upper right corner, Menu, reset - and WAIT for it to reprovision and reactivate.

Then settings, update, do PRL and profile, in that order - see if it helps.

PS - welcome back from another original Evo owner. :D

Well, crap. Looks like I've stumped you all. :thumbsdowndroid:

If it's ok with you folks, I'm going to try to ask on the XDA forum, I'll post a link to this thread for someone to read the whole story if they want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones