1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooted Nook not playing nice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tigerstorms, Aug 8, 2012.

1. tigerstorms

tigerstorms Lurker

Hello there, I've run in to some strange issue recently with my wife's nook. Both our nooks are rooted 1.4.3 Useing the clockworks recovery usb, and installing the zip manualnooter-5.02.19 on to our nooks. However Her's is unable to connect to the computer anymore using the usb connection. Mine still works fine using the same cables and computer. Windows 7 computer don't show anything when her's connect and her device just shows that it's charging. I've used the clockworks recovery to check the usb connection and that appears to still work fine when I use it. It just seems like her nook doesn't want to talk to anything anymore.

The only major differances between her's and mine is that she almost only uses the nook's normal system to buy stuff and read books while I almost never go in to the nook home.

The only things that have changed since they were rooted is the reason why I rooted her's in the first place was to fix the flickering on the device using the command adb shell echo 68000,1024/70/200/40,600/10/11/10 > /sys/devices/omapdss/display0/timings

I've roamed around and found there's a way to make changes to the startup on the device and I've edited that as well so when she reboots it doesn't flicker. I didn't have this done to my nook at first but recently out of despration I did it on mine too to see if it some how breaks it, and mine works fine still. I'm not new to linux but I am new to android linux so I'm not sure where to begain where it comes to trying to fix this issue other than just factory defaulting it and starting over.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

There are other ways to copy files to/from the device. I use dropbox to send updates to all my devices.

It still charges ok? (That's what counts.)

Give her yours, then later you have an excuse to buy a Nexus 7. :D

3. tigerstorms

tigerstorms Lurker

I've thought about giving her mine, not like she'll know right? mwahahah, but I find it odd, I've tried to factory default it before and it works fine until a few days after it's rooted it'll just suddenly stop talking to the computer. and it's only hers =-/

4. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

That sounds like Windows is not detecting it properly. There have been a lot of writeups over on XDA about people not getting their NC to show that sound very similar.

Can you try plugging hers into another computer to compare?

5. tigerstorms

tigerstorms Lurker

Yeah, I've tried it on 4 computers, I've used 3 differnt cords, and my nook which is also rooted works fine on all the computers with the same cords. The funny part is if I wipe her nook and start over it connects with the USB just fine, but if I root it. It'll take a few days little under a week for it to stop talking using the usb.

6. colchiro

Make a backup in recovery (after rooting) while it still works, then if it craps out on you, you can restore the backup.

7. tigerstorms

tigerstorms Lurker

I could try that, maybe even see what's changing to stop it. I do know one thing I've done with her nook that i haven't with others is restored an image from another nook to her new one. My old nook was her first one she had issues with it got a new one, and there were some apps we couldn't trasnfer the data over. So i rooted both of them, made a backup of the old one using clockworks and copied it to her new one, That shouldn't have caused any issues seeing as it worked fine after the process but I know that's the only thing different.

8. colchiro

Each device is supposed to (in theory) have a unique id. Not sure if restoring the same image on two live devices is a problem or not. I know Google uses that to track updates, but you're not complaining about a Play Store problem.

If I were you, I'd create a backup of your stock rom in recovery, then install CM7 on it and try that for awhile.

9. tigerstorms

tigerstorms Lurker

Does the CM7 support the usp plug in option on the nook? I've seen a few people compain about it but I haven't wanted to try it on her nook mostly because she likes the normal nook interface. I just recently got my phone to CM7 I like it so far since now I can clear out the memory out completely since my Sprint Evo Shift doesn't have much to play with, but I'd really like to see about getting at least ICS on the nook before going for a totally new rom.

10. colchiro

I assume you mean USB support. Yes it does. I've never heard of a rom that doesn't support USB.

ICS on the Nook Color is a bit too much rom for an old, under-powered device. It's probable that JB would work better than ICS, but it probably isn't usable yet. Most of us that have tried CM7 and CM9 agree that CM7 is a much smoother rom for the NC. Mirage (a themed and tweaked version of CM7) might be your best bet.