1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rooted, not rooted or 1/2 rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by berniej, Aug 29, 2016.

1. berniej

berniej Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 model P5100 from O2. Recently I decided that I wanted to upgrade to Android 6 so decided to take a chance and root.

I used Kingo Root successfully then installed TWRP and then the Beanstalk Marshmallow mod. All went well. As I use Sky Go I then used Kingo root to unroot to keep it happy.

However, although my tablet is now unrooted, Sky Go still detects it as rooted (this seems to be a common problem from just Googling around on the subject).

I decided to try re-rooting and then unrooting in an attempt to clear down whatever was triggering Sky Go's root detector.

This is where I'm stuck as Kingo Root does not work with Android 6 - at least not on my device.
    I've tried to flash SuperSU from TWRP but it just sits there during the flash process and never completes.

I can power off and reboot OK so not bricked but I now seem to be in a situation where I can't find a successful way to re-root nor to completely unroot to the satisfaction of the Sky Go app.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
    Bernie

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    To completely remove anything modified in the system and to return to 100% stock, you need to flash the stock firmware.
    You should be able to find it at Sammobile and install with Odin
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

scary alien, tube517 and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The first thing is to understand that "root" is a modification to your ROM to allow you to let apps use superuser privileges. When you installed the Beanstalk ROM you overwrote the original ROM, including the Kingo Root modifications. Not a problem because the custom ROM will have been pre-rooted, but it won't have been rooted with Kingo. Generally I'd say that's a good thing (I'm not a fan of Kingo), but since it had a different root mod I don't know what unrooting with Kingo would actually do to it. And it's clear that after a couple more attempts the phone is basically in a mess and it's hard to figure out what state it's in.

So, my advice would be to reflash the Beanstalk ROM. That will overwrite everything you've done to the system and give you a clean Beanstalk. Then you can investigate how to unroot or hide root from the Sky Go app; maybe ask for advice in the Beanstalk ROM thread.

As noted above, the other option is to reflash back to stock, which will remove root and put you back on Lollipop.

scary alien, tube517 and Jfalls63 like this.
  4. berniej

berniej Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    Many thanks for your replies. I can revert to the 'as was' as I used TWRP to take a backup before the upgrade and can successfully revert to that.If I do that then I can then use Kingo to unroot and then run SkyGo OK back on Lollipop.

If I reflash Beanstalk will I lose apps/data that have been installed since the upgrade?

Thanks,
    Bernie

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you reflash the same ROM you are currently using there is no need to wipe the device, so you don't lose any apps or data. It's when you are changing ROMs that you need to do a reset (since system data are likely to be incompatible - certainly so if it's a major version change).

If you use your TWRP backup (glad you made one - always a good idea!) then of course you will lose any apps/data that you've installed since then (though you could make a backup of those apps first using Titanium Backup, then restore that on your rooted Lollipop before unrooting).

scary alien, Jfalls63 and tube517 like this.
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hadron and scary alien like this.
  7. saboor

saboor Lurker
    None

Sep 2, 2016
    Male
    Have you tried Kingroot instead of Kingoroot?