• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooted, now sms and 3g data don't work, any ideas?

A few weeks ago I rooted my EVO V using the "Complete Newbie's Guide" method, got S-Off with the wire trick, and did all steps in the "fix everything by turning your phone into an EVO 3D thread," and installed MidnightRomS (Now on 1.0.7), and all was well. But then Virgin had issues processing my payment, and my service was shut off for a few hours until it went through. Now that it has gone through, I can make/receive calls, but sms doesn't work, nor does 3g data. There is no error code given for sms (using GO SMS Pro, not sure if that changes anything regarding error messages), it just says "Message not sent" and wont send. I tried sending an sms to myself and it did the same thing. I've updated the PRL and Profile multiple times, done about a thousand reboots, called Virgin's tech support probably 10 or 15 times, and still have nothing. 3g just doesn't work; I try to connect to anything requiring the internet, and I get a "no connection" message. I haven't told Virgin that I'm rooted, as I'm pretty sure their official stance on rooting is that it's a no-no. My main concern is that somewhere in the rooting process I have accidentally changed some software code(s) that makes it impossible for Virgin text and data signals to reach my phone because they're putting in the stock codes and my rooted ones are incorrect. If this happened, it was probably in the "fix everything...EVO 3D thread." If anybody has any ideas on what it might be, and how to fix it, I would be eternally grateful. For reference, my phone's info is as follows:

Hardware version: 0002
Software version: MidnightRomS 1.0.7
Android version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense version: 3.6
Kernel version: 3.0.52-ck1-Anthrax-g60d4ba6
Baseband version: 1.06.00.0426
Build number: 1.13.652.2_R2 CL372137 release-keys
Browser version: Webkit/534.30
PRI version: 1.53_145
PRL version: 61009

What does VM support say when you tell them your sms and data don't work? It's likely a result of the deactivation/reactivation of your account. They most likely need to reprovision your service to get those features going. I'm willing to bet the problem is on their end and not with the phone. When I first activated my Evo V I didn't have sms or data either and had to call in to get my account refreshed.

Reactions: chrstnzmrmn
Upvote 0
What does VM support say when you tell them your sms and data don't work? It's likely a result of the deactivation/reactivation of your account. They most likely need to reprovision your service to get those features going. I'm willing to bet the problem is on their end and not with the phone. When I first activated my Evo V I didn't have sms or data either and had to call in to get my account refreshed.
They first deactivated and reactivated my service, as a matter of fact they've done this twice. They then told me to update the PRL, but I already did that, and it's at what I believe is the most recent version (61009). I also updated the profile and tried the firmware, but that's already up to date. They emailed me saying that they "have proceeded and successfully reset the 3G service on your account." I emailed them back saying it didn't work, and so far no reply. As of this reply I still do not have 3G. Did a full reboot (battery removal) and rebooted, still no 3G, sms to other people will not send (message not sent error), and messages sent to myself seem to be in a never-ending limbo or not sending, but not giving up.

Upvote 0
They first deactivated and reactivated my service, as a matter of fact they've done this twice. They then told me to update the PRL, but I already did that, and it's at what I believe is the most recent version (61009). I also updated the profile and tried the firmware, but that's already up to date. They emailed me saying that they "have proceeded and successfully reset the 3G service on your account." I emailed them back saying it didn't work, and so far no reply. As of this reply I still do not have 3G. Did a full reboot (battery removal) and rebooted, still no 3G, sms to other people will not send (message not sent error), and messages sent to myself seem to be in a never-ending limbo or not sending, but not giving up.

have them verify the MDN and MSID with you..

When my phone accidentally got ported out.. "accidentally" they had reactivated my phone, but the MSID was changed and they didn't tell me.. Went to tech support for 3 days before someone noticed.

OR you could revert to stock, and run the activation program and see if that helps.. If not you can zero out your mdn and msid with ##VIRGIN# and try again.

Worth a shot right

Upvote 0
have them verify the MDN and MSID with you..

When my phone accidentally got ported out.. "accidentally" they had reactivated my phone, but the MSID was changed and they didn't tell me.. Went to tech support for 3 days before someone noticed.

OR you could revert to stock, and run the activation program and see if that helps.. If not you can zero out your mdn and msid with ##VIRGIN# and try again.

Worth a shot right
Went ahead and called tech support again, and suggested the MSID issue. The woman on the phone said "I think I know what the problem is," had me shut off my phone, then a "Service Update" appeared and finished, and now I have sms and 3g again! I'm not sure what she did, or if it was an MSID issue, but my issue has been solved.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and called tech support again, and suggested the MSID issue. The woman on the phone said "I think I know what the problem is," had me shut off my phone, then a "Service Update" appeared and finished, and now I have sms and 3g again! I'm not sure what she did, or if it was an MSID issue, but my issue has been solved.

Cool, :thumbup: keep an eye on it for the next week or so because I've seen a couple of cases where the new settings don't stick for whatever reason. Good luck with it though. :D

Upvote 0

I sure wish you would have gotten that woman's name and Virgin Mobile ID. She may be the only Virgin Mobile tech support employee that's capable of fixing anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones