• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted now what?

Honestly, the best way to find out what works best if to just try ROMs out for yourself. It's really easy since you should make a Nandroid backup before doing anything to wild. To create a backup: Boot into recovery mode (vol up + end call) > Backups/Restore > Nandroid backup > Press Trackball to confirm. It may take some time, so be patient. You should be dots appearing on the screen as the backup is created. When you are finished, you can mount your phone and rename your backups so that you know what ROM or what date you created it on. Just make sure you don't include any "spaces" or "." in the name. Have fun!!

Upvote 0
Ok so after some troubles I finally figured it all out. My next question is... What should I dwell into now? Curious about nan droid backup.

Do I have to erase everything every time I flash a new rom?
How do I go about getting live wallpapers? I'm running the sense_able rom.

Like Roscoe_Pee said, do a nand back up before flashing new ROMs, radios, or basically anything; it's just good insurance. Plus it's a lot easier to go back to a nand back up than it is to reflash an entire ROM. After you make a Nand back up it will be in a Date-Time format. You can change the file name using any file explorer on your phone or when you have the phone mounted to the computer. However, you can only use alpha-numeric characters, no special characters like ., -, etc and no spaces.

Most people in the know will tell you it is best to do a full wipe both data/factory reset and Dalvick-cache before flashing a new ROM. There will be times that Devs will release small "no wipe" updates for ROMs, but that will be included in the update instructions.

I would search XDA for live wallpapers, but honestly I think LWP are a novelty that will wear off after you see them. Plus I don't know if anyone is successfully running LWP full time due to compatibility with the Eris (I could be wrong). I know that there are problems with running the Nexus Launcher on the Eris and I think you need that to run LWP.

XDA Link: HTC Droid Eris - xda-developers

Upvote 0
However, you can only use alpha-numeric characters, no special characters like ., -, etc and no spaces.

You can use dashes and underscores, actually. I use them all of the time. My backup are named like this: 20090614_ivans_latest. It makes it easier for me to know which one was the last backup (I keep three per root image - the initial, just after install, and the last two latest versions.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones