• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted. Now what?

andrews317

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2011
Honduras
I completed the new Hack Kit very easily and my phone was successfully rooted. But... now what? I installed a screenshot app which I knew required root. But now I want stuff like:

- Remove AT&T unused apps
- Install roms
- Install Sense 3.0
- Tethering and wifi hotspot

That and any other stuff you recommend me for a rooted HTC inspire.

Use Titanium Backup to remove the bloatware. Open it-allow it Superuser access-select backup/restore and you will be presented with everything installed on the phone and you can select the app, then delete it from there.

I use Sense 3.0 myself, I'll give you two links-

Core Droid v8.1 Sense 3, runs smooth and has been customized:
CoreDroidRoms : : Home

If you are looking for a Sense 3 rom that looks like stock, try Virtuous Unity 2.37:
Virtuous ROM: Unity

These roms already have the wi-fi hotspot enabled. So you'll just turn it on and you're good to go.

Remember to install the rom you have to place the zip file on your sd card. Then go into rom manager and select install rom from sd card and select the file. If you have not done so already, pay for the rom manager license. It's worth it.

Upvote 0
I see what you mean. Any time you install a new rom you will have to install all of your apps. Only when restoring a rom will all your apps be installed just as you had it when you did the backup. There are 2 ways to do this, pay for titanium backup pro from the market-and backup all of your apps. Then when you load a new rom you can just install all of your apps at once. 2nd option is Astro file manager where you can backup all of your apps and then install them when you get a new rom (however for each app you will have to select install, so you'll have to go through them one by one. The pro version of titanium backup will do it all at once without you having to go through each app individually.

Upvote 0
I like a thing called app list backup. It saves a file on your sd card with a list of all your installed apps (google market or othwerwise).

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.punsoftware.backup&hl=en

When you wipe or flash a new rom google market seems to auto install
about 90% of your market apps, then you load app list backup and your backup file it created and you can get what it missed. (as well as a listing of non-market apps that you'll have to do manually)

This doesn't save scores/progress or app settings though, I've never cared about that stuff really so I've never looked in to titanium.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm getting more into it. Thanks from your help.
What about the purchased apps? Like Plants vs. Zombies. Would I have to pay for it again? If I install certain ROM and I install the app again, could I be able to continue my saved game or I have to start from 0?

Anyone knows? I might install a rom today.

Upvote 0
You won't have to pay again. The market is supposed to reinstall all apps after a wipe/rom install as soon as you sign in to gmail/youtube/market anything google. It doesn't always get them all though but they should be there in your market - my apps to install for the few that didn't auto install.

Most games you have to start from zero unless you backup it's data with titanium. Some games save progress to sdcard or to google servers and you're golden there but most don't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones