• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted, Phiremod, what next?

flu13

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2009
5 days into Nook ownership, and I'm loving it. But, like any power-mad fool, I want more.

I've rooted with ManualNooter, and I've loaded Phiremod 6.3. I'm using Zeam launcher, because I like being able to do more than 4x4 icons on the screen. I've got working wifi tether to my phone, which is awesome. Netflix works, too, which is also awesome.

But what next? What are the must-haves? I've read a lot of threads here, but I know that things change so quickly and new things come out, so what apps, widgets, mods, etc. should I add/do/whatever to my Nook next? Should I overclock it? How can I get Hulu to work? How can I get TetherGPS to work? How can I get bluetooth to work? What's the best browser on this thing? Best audio player? Best video player? I hardly use all that stuff on my phone, so I'm out-of-date on my information.

I need more power, captain! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh, one more thing...

When I loaded CM7, I had a Nook Home app, which was pretty cool, and I could still do all of my inherent Nook stuff. I backed everything up with Titanium prior to loading Phiremod, but it won't let me restore Nook Home, and any attempt to restore Reader just hangs. Is there a way to get all of my nice Nook functionality back? Or should I just get the Nook app from the market?

Upvote 0
Oh, one more thing...

When I loaded CM7, I had a Nook Home app, which was pretty cool, and I could still do all of my inherent Nook stuff. I backed everything up with Titanium prior to loading Phiremod, but it won't let me restore Nook Home, and any attempt to restore Reader just hangs. Is there a way to get all of my nice Nook functionality back? Or should I just get the Nook app from the market?
Once you load a ROM, you will lose all the stock nook functionality.

Only way to have that is to set up a dual boot.

Upvote 0
As far as video players I recomend Moboplayer, which is free and has not given me a sigle issue with audio falling out of sync, which is more than I can say for some of the paid players. As far as browsers I am using Dolphin HD. And for music players I'd like to know myself because I have never found one that I think is an improvement over the stock player on my Droid and I haven't really bothered with music yet on my NC.

Reactions: flu13
Upvote 0
I think the thing I miss the most from the stock Nook functionality is the children's books. My kids loved the sample book that read to them, and when I try that through the Nook app, it tells me that the file type is unsupported. Oh well, sorry kids, Daddy needs his Gingerbread.

I'll try out Moboplayer. Any tips on what make it and/or Dolphin cool?

And for a music player, what I'd really love is something that allows bookmarks. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and it really sucks when I have to reboot and it loses my place.

Upvote 0
I think the thing I miss the most from the stock Nook functionality is the children's books. My kids loved the sample book that read to them, and when I try that through the Nook app, it tells me that the file type is unsupported. Oh well, sorry kids, Daddy needs his Gingerbread.

I'll try out Moboplayer. Any tips on what make it and/or Dolphin cool?

And for a music player, what I'd really love is something that allows bookmarks. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and it really sucks when I have to reboot and it loses my place.
The Nook app doesn't support read-to-me books, which is ashame, because my kids would love that feature as well.

As I said before, you can setup a dual boot to go into CM7 or the stock NC firmware at bootup. That way, you can have your cake and eat it too. I've never done it, so you'll have to check out the forums over at XDA.

Upvote 0
Alright, I'm trucking along. I have working Netflix and Hulu, which I'm thrilled about. I went ahead and overclocked my CPU to see how that goes. I downloaded a second theme to see what happens when I switch themes.

Are there any other things I really ought to try?

Upvote 0
You might want to install Spare Parts from market and uncheck "compatibility mode". Some older software will show up in a smaller window with that checked.

You also could install the free version of Lookout, which is kind of an anti-malware.

What theme did you install (got a link)? I always had a theme on my DroidX, but never had one for my NC, other than Phiremod. This one's been recommended, but I've never tried it: [CM7][Theme]HoneyBread Alpha 4 [TABLET TWEAKED] - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones