1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rooted phone and bluetooth headset - voice dialing now works! Totally Hands-Free

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chewedpup, Feb 15, 2011.

1. chewedpup

chewedpup Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    I used to have a Blackberry, and when I used my bluetooth headset, I could press the talk button on the headset and a voice prompt would prompt me to say who I wanted to call - and hey presto, my phone would dial that number. Completely hands-free. I LOVED that feature. However, when I got my htc Hero, that feature never worked. I spoke to the people at Android and at Sprint and at Motorola (I have a Motorola h17 headset) - and they all said that for the htc hero, the voice dialing does not work through the bluetooth headset. It works on the phone itself, but not through the headset. Kind of disappointed, I scoured the internet - to no avail, apparently everyone had the same issue. So I gave up even thinking about that function.

Two days ago I rooted. Really like how fast the phone is now. Today, when using my bluetooth, I was ending a call by pressing the headset's talk button, and I pressed it a couple of seconds later, just to make sure it was off - and guess what, people! The voice prompt came on and prompted me for a phone number. I said "Call Don Cell" (one of my friends) - and it dialled the Dentist instead but that's not the point. The point is: VOICE DIALING THROUGH BLUETOOTH HEADSET NOW WORKS!!!! TOTALLY HANDS FREE! SINCE I ROOTED!!!! I am using the Motorola h17 (which is the best bluetooth I have tried, and I have tried 11 of them, from the cheapest to the most expensive and this one far outshone the others, in my opinion, so much so that I have one, my husband has one and I just bought my brother one) - so I just wanted to share the news. I have tried the voice dialing many times today - never reaching who I was trying to call though, but still able to do it hands-free through my bluetooth. Now I just have to work on having my phone understand my British accent :)

Advertisement

srkmagnus and DonB like this.
  2. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Glad to here the good news! For an even better hands free solution, give the Vlingo app a try. You can talk, text, email and post to facebook/twitter hands free. :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vlingo.client

It's good to hear another success story just by gaining root access :)

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Yeah, Android 2.2 and up finally solved the no Bluetooth headset voice dialing support issue. Something that Android lovers everywhere had been waiting a long time for.

I am glad you were able to get that feature sooner rather than later. I still use my old Motorola HS820 Bluetooth headset for this purpose and it works great as well.

Tags: