• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted phone problems

kel101

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
Hi, new here, just posting for my (dumb) brother who has a htc desire.

He bought his Desire rooted, the person he bought it off rooted the phone to unlock it. The phone was on 2.1, and there was an update for the phone (some htc update not 2.2) but it would not update, instead it would say it could not install and just reboot.

A google search indicated this was because the phone was rooted, and we then looked at ways of unrooting the phone. I have a legit unlock code from my network, but my brother delved into other roms to try and unroot his phone.

At present he has the defrost rom installed, except the phone app, internet and android market do not load.

So could you kind people tell me how to:

Remove this defrost rom
How to Unroot the phone so that it becomes locked again and I can unlock it with the unlock code

thanks

Sounds like he installed the Defrost rom ontop of the existing rom without wiping.

You have to wipe for 2 reasons.

1) You are going from a 2.1 to a 2.2 based rom
2) You are going from a HTC sense ROM to a vanilla ROM.

Sounds like your phone meets both these criteria. He should do a factory reset and the apps should work again. You can put the unlock code in at any time on any rom, rooted or not.

Upvote 0
Hi, I will get him to do a factory reset,

But I have a few more questions,

Why wouldnt the phone update when it was on 2.1, it wasnt the froyo update, some htc update but still, I initially thought this was due to the phone being rooted.

How would he go about getting an original rom onto the phone?

If the previous owner unlocked the phone while it was rooted, would factory resetting the phone relock the phone to a network?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones