1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted phone, use different carrier possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by runLoganrun, Dec 4, 2010.

1. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    hi,

I have thus far, rooted an droid 1, and most recently my new Droid X, and had lots of fun with different roms.

One piece I'm not clear on is carrier availability, and whether or not I can switch carriers on my rooted Droid 1. Do I have to do something different than rooting, or is it a matter of flashing to a different baseband, or something like that?

Is this possible? I want to sell my droid 1, and be able to switch it from Verizon, to T-mobile, or whatever someone is using.

Thanks!
    rlr

Advertisement

2. gtpdjw

gtpdjw Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    Machine operator
    Kettering Ohio
  3. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    you should be able to switch it to almost any CDMA based network with a little work, but rooting it is certainly not all that you need to do. there will be no way to get it work on any GSM network (att, t.mo, etc.) because they use a completely different radio band than Verizon.

4. gallandof

gallandof Android Expert
    None

you can not get it on any GSM network. but you can technically get it on any EVDO 3g network. I cant post any specific links to do so since the software and process is illegal. Ill let you know first, it is a huge process and you need an active number on the other carrier for it to work.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    This is the one thing that ruins CDMA. For all the things it does better than GSM (soft vs hard handoff, etc), the fact that they didn't use a SIM card-like setup is miserable.