• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted....Time for custom rom

mikeydee81

Lurker
Aug 1, 2011
First id like to say that 3 weeks ago i had no clue what android was (slight exaggeration). Ive been a blackberry user for years. Upgraded to a sensation and extremely happy with androids capabilities.

Anyway thanks to this and a few other forums ive rooted my phone and am starting to enjoy the benefits.

Few Quick questions.....
Im very happy with stock HTC sense 3.0 but i am considering at least trying some roms to see what thats all about. So....

I rooted using the revolutionary method...have s-off and clockwork. Ive already gone into clockwork recovery and made a nandroid image while everything is all fine and dandy in case the rom sucks....i also did a titanium backup for my apps
From what i understand To install a custom rom all i have to do is download the zip and place it into the sd root directory...go into clockwork recovery and install the zip? Ive also read about superCID which seems to be some sort of command line interface. What is the difference. Seems like installing a zip from the SD card would be much simpler.

Also....if i decide to stick with stock rom can i install alternate themes...splash screens....boot animations or are these only availabe with custom roms.

lastly Ive recieved the update to GB 2.3.4 prior to rooting. Assuming i stay with the stock rom am i ok with future OTA updates? I know with custom roms you cant update OTA.

A lot of ROM's will tell you to Factory Reset upon flashing the ROM, I never have, and have had no issues. A nice list can be found on the second post on this forum: Rom List.

Be sure you read the issues, especially with the ASOP Roms, which are built from the ground up. A few ROM's mixed in with the list are ones that look Sense free.

A backup is always recommended time to time when you have a Custom Rom.

Clearing the Cache and Factory Resetting are things I have never done. Might consider clearing the Cache.

Inside RECOVERY when your in HBOOT press Install Zip from SD Card > Pick the .zip that you put on the SD > Press Install "rom_name.zip" > Select Restart Device.

The first boot will take a forever, (5-10 minutes) just to set it up.

Hope I helped,
Lucas

Reactions: Marcezo
Upvote 0
Gotcha....

Also i seem to have learned quite a bit more thanks to the Post "suitable Rom list.

So going into clockwork recovery and installing the rom zip is basically how i would got one of these roms. Im probably going to try the Android Revolution HD rom. It keeps the interface close to stock but removes bloat, speeds up cpu, improves battery life...and seems to make the phone much more efficient.

So what is the purpose of programs such as supercid? I also was reading a lot about ADB. What is the purpose of these if all you need to do is flash right in recovery?

Also...regarding the suitable rom post....is ASOP rom mean "android Stock operating system" rom? No sense?

Upvote 0
Firstly, ASOP is exactly what you said, its stock android, almost what you see on the Nexus Phones.

Android Revolution HD is a great ROM don't get me wrong, but Virtuous Sensation is also very very good. I used it for about a month before switching.

Speed wise:
Android Revolution HD < Virtuous Sensation

If your WiFi is also bugging you because it has a LOW signal do Virtuous Sensation, somehow it helps, IDK how.

Overall, make your own decision based on this.

From what I've read about the Rooting process, SuperCID is used to be able to flash ROM's that are not Carrier Specific, if you are on T-Mobile, any ROM in my list will work on T-Mobile without SuperCID. If you got your phone in the UK or somewhere other than T-Mobile, you may need it and it can be found here at Step 4.

ABD is what you used to Obtain Root level access, so if you are already Rooted, then you will never use it again, unless you have to use SuperCID. Basically ABD is a terminal that talks to your phone, just as the Windows command prompt talks with you computer.

Upvote 0
I'll probably try a few different roms.

I do have tmobile and im already rooted. It took like 5-10 minutes for me to root with the revolutionary tool. I was just curious cuz ive read many threads regarding the use of supercid and adb stuff and it seems like there is alot going on with those things..Thought maybe they were used for something else.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am currently using Android Revolution HD. There are minor problems and I suppose one would work better over the other for different things however I am waiting for CyanogenMod 7 so I can hold out. Titanium is a great idea. Buy Pro and sync to DropBox. Makes life so simple. And don't base the rom of your choice strictly on what "bloatware" has been removed as you could always remove mostly whatever you like (within reason) manually. There are scripts as well as removing files out of the custom rom zip yet I prefer to do it through Terminal on my phone itself. Gives me a chance to try one at a time and see if everything is a-ok.

Upvote 0
what will rooting my phone do for me? whats a simple and effective root.

For this phone there is only one way to root: HERE

It lets you: Install custom ROM's, overclock your phones processor, and some more things, if you are a basic user and you just need it as a phone maybe some web browsing, then you don't need to root, it'll just cause problems.

Thanks,
Lucas

Upvote 0
I'll probably try a few different roms.

I do have tmobile and im already rooted. It took like 5-10 minutes for me to root with the revolutionary tool. I was just curious cuz ive read many threads regarding the use of supercid and adb stuff and it seems like there is alot going on with those things..Thought maybe they were used for something else.

Thanks

I have been using custom time since I got this little gem. Anthology I have used advice for hopelessness and victimization changes. There is a lot out there that uses advice. That is if you like to tinker around with your phone like I do. CRAZY has a bunch of threads using advice. Become a member and check it out. It is where most of the developers hang. Do not forget to give props if something is helpful. After all it is the polite thing to do.

Keep Moving Forward,
Ramothgold

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones