1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted today -- a couple ROM/bloat q's?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boo radley, Sep 24, 2011.

1. boo radley

boo radley Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I decided to 'root' my phone this AM using the 'OneClickRootCWM3.1.0.1' technique. It worked very well once I got by getting the $%*(# Epic connected to the PC.

I do not understand why USB connection with my PC, especially with USB Debugging enabled requires some magic combination of usb cable, port, and PC, but it finally worked on a 2nd laptop I had....

Anyway. I've successfully rooted my phone. Still on factory E05. So now I can finally remove the apps I don't want like Facebook, and the Sprint junk -- NASCAR, SprintZone, etc. I read good reviews on 'Bloatware Freezer." Bzzzt. No longer on the market. Tried a freeware app called 'AppMate' (I think) and I saw the .apk's in /system/app, but it didn't actually delete anything. WTF.

Now I'm thinking bigger. What if I....install a new ROM? If so:
    1) is there something as stable as my factory EC05? I don't care about Gingerbread.
    2) will I need to convert my filesystem to EXT4? When/why is this done?
    3) Do some ROM packages include the kernel, so it's a one shot deal?
    4) Do I lose all existing data -- contacts, account settings, installed apps?

All I really want is a clean, stable phone w/out the Sprint junk and the ability to have more control, tether, etc. I'd greatly appreciate a quick run-down of what the next steps should be. Thx!

Advertisement

2. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    I would recommend Titanium Backup. It no only will allow you backup, but you can also freeze apps.

Pretty much any of the ROM's will have the bloatware removed. So, if you want to jump into ones of those, I would recommend that.

1) Syndicate Frozen Rom would be a good starting point. You will need a kernel if you install 1.2. Just read through the first couple of posts on XDA or the ACSyndicate web site. Or any of the other EC05 ROM's should be pretty stable at this point.

2) The conversion to EXT4 (versus RFS) will depend on the ROM you install. There is a link on the bottom of the OneClickRoot post, but here it is... [ACS][CWM 3.0.25+]Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs **UPDATED 7/27 - xda-developers There are CWM flashable files to convert back and forth between RFS and EXT4.

3) Most ROM's contain the kernel, some don't. The three main kernels for EC05 are TwilightZone, Genocide, and Bonsai. If needed, simply flash one of these if needed.

4) Contacts should be backed up to your gmail account. The other stuff will be lost, unless you back everything up using MyBackup Root, or Titanium Backup.

boo radley likes this.
  3. boo radley

boo radley Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks IC -- very comprehensive answer.

Hmm...the thing I'm still fuzzy on is the RFS/EXT4 conversion. I assume I'm still on RFS.

After 'rooting' with the OneClick method, I did a 'nandroid' backup.

If I convert the file-system to EXT4 wouldn't that overwrite and zap anything backed up on the RFS file-system, including this backup?

I wil download the Titanium Backup app regardless. Next week I have some critical business, and can't risk having my phone down, but I'll experiment with a new ROM next weekend. Kinda exciting!

4. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    I actually use both Ti Backup and MyBackup Pro (you can get the MyBackup Root for free in the market). Both have their pros and cons...

The conversion will backup and restore any files in the process. Yes, if you didn't do anything, then you would still be on the RFS system.

Doing a nandroid backup is definitely a good thing. If you screw something up, you can restore it to exactly the same everything on your phone at that time. It is also a good practice to keep a copy of any of your Nandroid backups on your PC (or anything on the SD card for that matter).