1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooted Users and OTAs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by savoxis, May 5, 2011.

1. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    ODOT Field Services Tech
    Pacific NW
    I am honestly at a loss here.

I understand if you are on stock, its nice to get otas, probably a little exiting, the possibilities of getting something new, the anticipation. And then the inevitable disappointment. As ally users we have been repeated screwed by LG and VZW with ota updates that don't do anything we want (with the exception of froyo) adding bloatware and killing our joy and anticipation for these updates. And each time we drink the koolaid, coming back for more seemingly forgetting the last time VZW and LG rolled it over, greased it down, and drove it home.

This VS740MVE update is a joke. It is 12mb, a good amount of this taken up by this "new" radio. Well the new radio image that we are all so hopeful to get better service with (I have alot of android devices, and I have NEVER got better service from a radio update) is nothing more than the VS740MVD.6040.1001 radio (from 2.2.1) with a different letter.

A good amount of rooted users (not just ally users) have this misplaced obsession with OTA updates. Verizon and LG will not give you anything that you dont already have better with a custom rom, they will not give you a magical radio that gives you more bars. They will add more bloatware again and patch rooting holes. I have installed this OTA to see what it was all about, I have a system dump and a nandroid from VZE. I threw it away. The only thing we COULD use (the radio) was a sham. So stop wasting time, resources, and all of our time trying to recover your phone. And stop worrying about it.

This being said I will not for any reason help anyone who updates to VZE, after looking at it NO aspects of VZE will be imported into velocity or any other project in which I am a part of (other than the version number for market purposes)

If you break your phone, loose root, or just plain dont like VZE: You are on your own.

Advertisement

2. tigersfan1

tigersfan1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
  3. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    While I recommend staying on 2.2.1 if rooted, I will help those of you who have 2.2.2 and have not rooted yet.

4. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    Agreed, what the new OTA 2.2.2 will do for you is delete Amon RA recovery and unroot your phone. The LGMU version will most likely wipe fastboot to.
    Unless you want the stock ROM or are comfortable fixing these issues yourself your better off staying away from it.

5. azuma73

azuma73 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Forklift Operator, Chef
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Fully!!!

Tags: