• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted - what to delete?

cwepruk

May 25, 2010
So I rooted using the X10 rooted app (very simple, 5 seconds, see XDA forums) then downloaded Titanium backup.

I can now delete at will. Moxier, Korean/Chinese keyboards are gone, but how much of the other stuff is useless?

This is all stuff that came with the phone, and I'm not sure if deleting any of it will give me errors or affect performance. None of these are in the app drawer, just background type stuff.

There are things like Checkin Service, a bunch of sony ericsson named things (manager services, readsdcards, etc) - these all have icons that look like they are from the market, but I'm not sure how necessary each of them are for D2D operation of the phone. There are also several google ones and some seemingly duplicates.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome. Thanks.

Yeah. I know people talk about better battery life and being much faster rooted. I can't imagine just deleting Moxier, the keyboards and user guide ading to speed and battery life.

Someone must know which of the stock apps (non-listed in drawer) can go without affecting anything.

Upvote 0
Much more info on removing apps from the X10 can be found on this thread over at XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714021)

Here's the cleanup.cmd script I used when I wiped apps from my X10 after my 026 root:

Code:
@echo off

@adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system

@adb shell rm /system/app/PcCompanion*
@adb shell rm /system/app/mox*
@adb shell rm /system/app/off*
@adb shell rm /system/app/play*
@adb shell rm /system/app/track*
@adb shell rm /system/app/EManual*
@adb shell rm /system/app/LatinImeTutorial*
@adb shell rm /system/app/AndroidQuadrapop*
@adb shell rm /system/app/LatinIME*
@adb shell rm /system/app/SEMCTouchPal*
@adb shell rm /system/app/se-supp*
@adb shell rm /system/app/semc-backup*
@adb shell rm /system/app/semc-backup-rachael*
@adb shell rm /system/app/Launch*
@adb shell rm /system/app/Timescape*
@adb shell rm /system/app/FaceRecognition*
@adb shell rm /data/app/*.zip

@adb shell rm -r /etc/semc/startupshow

@adb shell mv /etc/mount_iso.sh /etc/mount_iso

adb push app\packages.xml /sdcard
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/packages.xml of=/data/system/packages.xml
adb shell rm /sdcard/packages.xml

@echo ##############################
@echo #  DEVICE CLEANED SUCCESFULLY #
@echo ##############################
@adb shell reboot
pause

pause

The only potential issue I've come across is that in deleting Timescape, it messed up the stock phonebook app in that you can't view contact details (though you can still call via a long-press on the contact name). This is a well documented issue, and one that is easily solved by using a third-party phonebook app like aContacts, Phonebook 2.0, etc.

If you're unsure, buy the "Donate" version Titanium Backup, and then "freeze" apps through it and use the phone for a day or two. The frozen apps are considered uninstalled for all intents and purposes, so it's a good way to safely test without actually removing anything.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I know people talk about better battery life and being much faster rooted. I can't imagine just deleting Moxier, the keyboards and user guide ading to speed and battery life.

Someone must know which of the stock apps (non-listed in drawer) can go without affecting anything.

Moxier starts itself and lies in the background and I guess that uses juice and memory. The keyboards takes up space.

Upvote 0
If all you are trying to do now is too delete certain apps from your phone you really do not need to use ADB at all. The list posted in post #4 by saltorio is a good base for what to remove with Titanium app. Even better would be to backup all of the apps both user side and OS side, then start deleting the items you want with Titanium. tap the item you wish to delete and select uninstall. Superuser will ask you to confirm the SU request then Titanium will delete the items you want to.

Upvote 0
If all you are trying to do now is too delete certain apps from your phone you really do not need to use ADB at all. The list posted in post #4 by saltorio is a good base for what to remove with Titanium app. Even better would be to backup all of the apps both user side and OS side, then start deleting the items you want with Titanium. tap the item you wish to delete and select uninstall. Superuser will ask you to confirm the SU request then Titanium will delete the items you want to.

Can you actually un-install core apps like Timescape using Titanium? I was under the assumption you couldn't.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can (at least, I was given the option). I froze mine for now. I deleted the user guides, Moxier and a couple others things (Standard Sony Keyboard).

There are a lot f other things listed (the list looks just like the ones under settings - applications), but the nams/apps don't list the same as what's above. If Sony has a bunch of useless junk on this phone, I'd like to get rid of it, however, I have no clue what a lot of these things are.

i.e.

com.sonyericsson.android.readsdcard1.0
backup and restore 1.0RC10A
come.android.providers.applications1.6 current
sony erisson sync client wizard 1.6

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones