1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooted WIFI Free Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Telstar_2112, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Member

I just rooted my ICS Bionic, no problems. I did the hack where you modify the database using SQLite and setting the entitlement check to 0 to get the "free" wifi hotspot. But I still got an error trying to use the default Wifi Hotspot. Window popped up saying "checking verizon provisioning" or something like that....and it fails.

Anyone know what else has to be done to get this old hack working on ICS?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AurJohn

AurJohn Well-Known Member

Have you tried FoxFi? It worked for me on both rooted and unrooted, both GB and ICS. Now I am on the share everything plan so it's a moot point, as the built in mobile hotspot is included in my monthly bill anyway.

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Have you tried using a different app such as WiFi tether for rooted users?

4. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Member

Yes. Used Foxfi but would like to have old method as well for backup. I'm on the unlimited data plan still although rarely go over 2 gb.
    I'll have to try the wifi tether for root.
    Still curious about the old hack though.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Android Enthusiast

I could never get anything but FoxFi to work for me after ICS.

6. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

7. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

Was on the road last week and ran into the problem Foxfi no longer working so I performed the entitlement check change to which the OP refers and it worked fine. You do have to reboot the phone for it to take effect.

8. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast

after RSDLite flash to stock ICS image, USB tethering seems to be working without any subscription. Have unlimited data plan, and paid version of foxfi (which still works). Haven't yet tried any other tethering apps after ICS update.

9. jbrier87

jbrier87 Lurker

Hey guys, my younger brother just bought a droid bionic that has ICS 4.0.4 system version 6.7.246, we rooted the phone and installed wifi tether (only app ive ever used for wifi tether) and was surprised to find it did not work. After updating to the newest version and switching its profile to droid bionic i was even more surprised to find it STILL didn't work. SO I did a little experimenting and found that if I set the profile to Droid 3 the wifi tether works perfectly!! For all you rooted bionic owners out there I hope this helps, I know I got frustrated trying to get this crap all figured out!!

10. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast

If rooted, setting the 'entitlement check' to '0' in the settings storage db with sqlite definitely works. I use tethering regularly with my unlimited plan.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews