• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted with Revolutionary, next step help

Dishiki

Lurker
Sep 9, 2011
I just rooted successfully using revolutionary, and am kind of at a loss of where to go from here. I do know that my radio is MR2, it is baseband 1.39.000.0627r; 0.01.69.0625r.

I would like to download and use a bare bones type rom that will get rid of all the bloatware. I've seen a few people mention CM7. What exactly are the steps to going about doing this. I read the how to thread but am still a little confused. Do I need to change the radio? If so, do I do that first? Do I do the ROM first? Is there anything else that I have to do? I literally just rooted about five minutes ago and checked it with root check and it was a success.

Thanks

Do you want the HTC Sense interface? If not then you want an AOSP rom if so you want a Sense rom. Currently on the AOSP front I know people are running BlackAOSP 2.1 personal, CM7 (both 1.61 and 1.7), and ShiftTheory 2.0f. For Sense roms I can't really make recommendations I haven't run a sense rom for more than 5 mins in over 2 months.

You shouldn't need to change the radio but you can if you want. Since you are on MR2 it shouldn't matter if you flash the radio or rom first.

Upvote 0
I do not need the sense interface. I would like to try something different. I have never rooted and this is my first android phone (had a blackberry). I guess I want something stable. Also, do I need to download a new kernal? Or do I stick with what I have? How do I know which radio versions work well with which roms?

Finally, I saw that the clockwork mod is the way to go. I hit yes during the revolutionary root so I am assuming I have it. I saw when I download a rom I need to flash it through clockwork. How do I reboot into the clockwork recovery mode?

Upvote 0
When you flash a rom a kernel will be flashed with it. You may wish to flash a different kernel to change battery life or allow easier over clocking later. I perfer the 3rd GB leaked radio, there is a link to it in the sticky. Radios that are MR2 and above will perform the same on any rom.

You boot into recovery by first going to hboot. Power off and then hold volume down while powering back on. Before you try this make sure there is not a zip on the root of your SD that is titled "PG05IMG.zip" or anything like that. If there is delete it.
Once in hboot you press volume down to highlight recovery and press the power button that will take you into recovery. I personally like TWRP more than CWM but CWM works fine.

Upvote 0
When you flash a rom a kernel will be flashed with it. You may wish to flash a different kernel to change battery life or allow easier over clocking later. I perfer the 3rd GB leaked radio, there is a link to it in the sticky. Radios that are MR2 and above will perform the same on any rom.

You boot into recovery by first going to hboot. Power off and then hold volume down while powering back on. Before you try this make sure there is not a zip on the root of your SD that is titled "PG05IMG.zip" or anything like that. If there is delete it.
Once in hboot you press volume down to highlight recovery and press the power button that will take you into recovery. I personally like TWRP more than CWM but CWM works fine.

There's some roms that say to flash a specific radio. Is that just "recommended " or required?

Upvote 0
since radio flashing requires potentially dangerous hboot flashing,id prolly reccomend to stay where you are for now. as has been said,pretty much any rom worth running at this point will work with what you have. give it a few days and see how your voice and data connections are.

once youre a lil more confident you can try some newer radios if you want and see if there is any real improvement(i think alot of improvements,even those seen by me ;), are alot of times due to the "placebo affect" of something new,lol).

id also suggest checking out the thunderbolt rom list,and how to sticky threads at the top of the page. lots of info there. then post up if you have more questions about any of it.

Upvote 0
Eaton is a MR2 based froyo rom I think. So any MR2+ radio should work fine. I know the dev says otherwise and it could be an issue with GB radios on Froyo but I haven't heard of anything like that happening before.

I am not sure what lightning rom is. Tesla Coil? If it is the newest one RC3 then you should be fine with any MR2+ radio. I would suggest if you are going to stick with Froyo to do so and not to flash in hboot so much, if something were to bork up in hboot you would have an issue. I personally would suggest you jump to a GB based rom. They are as stable as Froyo based, you can get the newest radios and stick with them without fear that the radio isn't going to work with a rom.

Reactions: kool kat2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones